Talk

Advanced search

Half siblings

(4 Posts)
Feyerefleye Sat 19-Nov-16 16:31:25

Hello. Need some advice and hope this is the right place to post.
I live with my partner and his daughter (9) (whose mum sadly died when she was younger) and our toddler. We have photos up of older daughter with her mum, and some of dp with late wife, and our toddler (2) has noticed them and points her out as me. "There's daddy and mummy dancing!". I have suggested to dp that we need to tell our toddler that it's her sister's mummy who isn't here anymore, and not in fact me, but dp is very against telling her anything.Anyone been in this situation?
Dp says toddler won't understand that big sister's mum died, and will think she just left, but I don't think we should have photos up of someone who isn't me but let her think it is. What should we do? Older daughter calls me "Mum" and her real mum "Mummy". Toddler calls me "Mummy"...so it's only going to get more confusing as time goes on.

Coconut0il Sat 19-Nov-16 22:54:57

Personally I would tell the truth. No DD that isn't me, that is your sister's mummy. No need to go into too much detail yet. I always find children are much more accepting of situations than adults.
I haven't been in your situation but I've worked with young children for a long time and I've been asked many questions. Generally an honest answer is best.

Manumission Sat 19-Nov-16 23:00:16

She needs a simple, honest, age-appropriate answer.

purpleme12 Sun 20-Nov-16 01:17:57

Agree with above. There's no advantage to lying

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now