Talk

Advanced search

10yr old branded a racist by school

(4 Posts)
sijjy Tue 15-Nov-16 16:40:59

Basically my 10yr old did one of those videos with a music app mimicking a girl from his class. He chose to add a Afro as she has curly hair. The girl is mixed race but she doesn't have a Afro. School have branded him racist and it's all kicking off. Talking of involving the police and everything. I asked him why he added the Afro and he said cus I don't have curly hair.
I really don't think he meant it in a racist way. He's only 10 and his own half sister is mixed race.
I'm so upset and so is my son.
I understand he shouldn't be doing videos of anyone as it's not very nice but just feel this is being taken too far and seen only through a adults eyes not a child's. he wasn't asked why he choose to use the Afro he was just asked if he meant it in a racist way.

olderthanyouthink Tue 15-Nov-16 22:01:53

FFS

I can see why he might get in trouble with making a video mimicking a girl from school (stupid but whatever) but thats not racist!!!!

FYI I'm not a parent, just a mixed race girl with curly hair. I might not be impressed about someone making a video mimicking me, but the afro would likely just be amusing UNLESS they have said/ done racist things like name calling, violence etc.

(you might want to parade his sister around a bit to make a point)

CocktailQueen Tue 15-Nov-16 22:03:18

Why has he made a video mimicking someone? That's not nice. Maybe talk to him about that.

sijjy Wed 16-Nov-16 07:02:37

I did say in my post I fully understand that making the video mimicking this girl was not nice and is being dealt with by school and is at home. I am completely fine with that. He did wrong and should be punished but being branded a racist it's broken his little heart

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now