Talk

Advanced search

Where shall I take my 9 month old?

(10 Posts)
DontTouchTheMoustache Mon 14-Nov-16 15:20:32

Hello, I am a lone parent to 9 month old. I've been suffering with PND and anxiety which has resulted in me spending a lot of time at home with just DS. I feel like enough is enough because I'm just letting my life pass me by and I want to get out more and feel like I'm actually living again. I have a dog so we do go for a lot of walks in the park which is nice but as it's getting colder the walks are getting shorter (more of a necessity than an outing). I'm making myself a weekly planner (helps with my anxiety, if I don't plan my week I panic and don't go anywhere because I don't feel prepared). I'm sat here, pen in hand, trying to think of places to take DS and I have gone completely blank. Can people please give me some advice/recommendations of activities we could do together?

golfmonkey Mon 14-Nov-16 15:27:57

I would go to a playgroup once a week, they usually cost 1 or 2 pounds and you get a cuppa, there are toys, and the babies get a snack. You can meet other mums there or if not feeling as sociabe, just play with the baby.

The library is good - they usually have a rhymetime once a week.

The supermarket is fun for babies especially once they can sit in the trolley.

The park is great - as long as you wrap up its fine! I think sped in as much time outdoors as possible is the most important thing, especially in winter. babies don't need fancy classes or outings (though they are great things to do if you want), and I personally think meeting other mums is really nice, you always have something in common and can have a bit of a moan if you need! And they can watch your baby if you need a wee etc!

golfmonkey Mon 14-Nov-16 15:28:55

Sociable, spending...sorry!

FloodMud Mon 14-Nov-16 15:39:34

Museums / art galleries - quite frequently have stuff on for kids- even babies.
Soft plays quite often have baby areas
Garden centres
Swimming (hard work but knackers them out!)

AnnetteKertan Mon 14-Nov-16 16:22:08

Have you looked into baby classes like monkey music, baby sensory, jo jingles, gymboree, busy lizzy, water babies? They are more expensive than playgroups but on the plus side it's something in the diary every week and the same parents go every week so it's a bit easier, imo, to get to know other each other. I also like the structure of having set activities. At softplay/playgroups I would often just sit alone playing with dd so it could on occasions be quite lonely whereas with classes you're told what to do.

Rhyme time is also good for the above reasons (plus free).

AnnetteKertan Mon 14-Nov-16 16:23:48

(a lot of franchised classes offer a free trial. I've recently moved so have done a few free trials even though I had no intention of continuing just for something to do one morning with dd for free).

DorotheaHomeAlone Mon 14-Nov-16 16:25:44

Local children's centres often have great free stuff.

DontTouchTheMoustache Mon 14-Nov-16 16:38:52

Thank you, these are all really helpful suggestions. And yes annette I struggle with normal baby classes where there is just playing as I'm not confident enough to speak to other people so having a focus would be very helpful.
I have looked up local libraries and garden centres and started to fill up my planner, thanks very much for your ideas

beginnersewer Mon 14-Nov-16 17:36:33

Mine just liked anywhere with people so wandering round a supermarket or shopping centre or a trip on the bus or train kept him happy.

Della1 Mon 14-Nov-16 20:42:17

You definitely don't need to entertain your baby at this stage- they will be happy just taking in the sights, sounds etc. Think about what you would like to do. Cafe, walk in a different park, town centre, Christmas displays in garden centre. It's always easier to have a structure to the week and a set plan of where to go on each day. Look on "day out with the kids" website for suggestions in your local area (and also netmums).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now