14 month year old meals during the day

(8 Posts)
2015mom Thu 10-Nov-16 10:24:17

Hey my LO eats breaky before he goes nursery occasionally because he gets hungry because he has his milk at 6 am. Then when he goes nursery he will have breaky again.

Main meals at nursery at lunch at 11.30 and tea at 4 pm with snacks at 10.30 and 2.00 pm.

When he comes home he is really hungry so he eats dinner with us at 6 pm.

Then he will have his milk before he goes to sleep at 7 pm ish

Are these enough meals a day? I was thinking he was having too many meals

2015mom Thu 10-Nov-16 10:25:06

When we were away on holiday he was having a three course meal for breakfast, with toast, then cereal then fruit but then he was not having his morning milk

2015mom Thu 10-Nov-16 10:25:59

I am going on LO's cues so I just let him eat until he doesn't show any more interest in eating

Georgeofthejungle Thu 10-Nov-16 10:30:05

That does seem like a lot to me but I guess it depends on portion size. My 8month DS only has 3 meals with milk 3/4 times a day but he eats a lot at his meals - 2 courses plus fruit.

I'd say as long as he's 'following his line' you'll be fine to continue.

welshweasel Thu 10-Nov-16 10:36:22

What is his weight doing? If he's of normal weight and following his centile then it clearly isn't too much food. Personally I wouldn't give him breakfast twice and I'd give him a snack when he gets home from nursery rather than a second dinner.

2015mom Thu 10-Nov-16 10:38:31

Yeah when he has his lunch and tea he will have fruit or yoghurt as dessert

It's all going on baby's cues and we can't really tell when people are full up.... I was thinking it might be too much but I was also thinking maybe his portion sizes at nursery aren't that big hence why he still eats when he comes home

He is just unsettled until he eats during the evening

He isn't even big lol he is between the 25th and 50th percentile ... I don't know where he puts the food lol

Georgeofthejungle Thu 10-Nov-16 14:49:00

I'd say If his weight is fine and he's happy and heathy then keep doing what your doing smile

Hopitpopit Thu 10-Nov-16 14:59:52

Sounds fine to me. It depends how active they are as well. My DS has double (usually) breakfast at nursery, morning snack, main meal at lunch, afternoon snack and tea all at nursery, he usually wants a biscuit/rice cakes or fruit on the way home and then has dinner with us. Sometimes for dinner he doesn't want much at all, sometimes he has seconds or toast as well. He has eaten this much since not long after starting nursery at 10 months. Now 2.5. He has never been above the 25th percentile. I think as long as you follow their lead and don't force them to finish something for the sake of it they will self regulate and eat what they need. I wish I could, I was ruined by the whole eat everything on your plate and you can have pudding thing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now