Talk

Advanced search

How soon for nappy cream to work?

(11 Posts)
KatyN Tue 08-Nov-16 21:28:42

My baby is teething and really struggling with many many poos (I think she got to 8 today). Her bottom is red and sore. I'be tried sudocrem and methanium but she's still really sore.
With my son I'' sure it was really quick that he got better after applying, way less than a day. Have I forgotten and would you expect it to take a few days and several applications?

She's dosed up on calpol for the pain but thinking about asking pharmacist/gp advice.

chocoholic89 Tue 08-Nov-16 21:30:29

Let her get air to her bum aswel. Don't use bubbles in bath while sore. Make sure yo put lots of cream on. Should clear up.

user1471546744 Tue 08-Nov-16 21:31:40

I've been through this recently with my son. It does take a few days of keeping on top of it for it to get better unfortunately.

QuiteLikely5 Tue 08-Nov-16 21:34:53

Wash her bottom with warm cotton wool when she does a poop as that is much nicer than cold scented wipes!

I would also keep smothering on the cream.

LoadingDishwasher Tue 08-Nov-16 21:41:02

Metanium is the best nappy cream ever. It's thick and yellow - but it sorts out the problem areas quickly!!! I've used it on all my kids.

mineofuselessinformation Tue 08-Nov-16 21:55:57

Metanium here too - dc1 used to get blisters when teething and it always sorted it out. It's like putty, spread it out thinly enough that it leaves a layer, but not too thick.

Writerwannabe83 Tue 08-Nov-16 22:28:36

Could it be the nappy rash has progressed on to thrush?

Metanium is fantastic, I usually see a huge improvement within 24 hours so if things aren't getting any better then take her to the pharmacist and they can assess whether anti fungal cream is needed.

My DS has had thrush in his nappy area following a horrendous time of dirty nappy after dirty nappy and he was prescribed Timodene which worked a treat.

uhoh2016 Tue 08-Nov-16 22:42:09

Try drapolene usually found in chemists. It's the only thing I use and tend to notice a difference after a couple of applications

XL Sun 13-Nov-16 09:11:36

I used yellow metanium really thinly with a thin layer of bepanthen on top with nappy free time. If it doesn't improve in a couple of days see the GP as it's most likely thrush. I did that and it cleared up within 48hrs with an antifungal cream

Clairbel Fri 18-Nov-16 07:33:10

My HV suggested putting Vaseline over yellow metanium - it wasn't working on its own as being washed off by pee...worked a treat!

SellFridges Fri 18-Nov-16 07:40:24

I can't remember the statistic now but a GP we know told us that a huge proportion of nappy rash is actually thrush.

Clears up a treat with some caneston.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now