Talk

Advanced search

Toddlers and the dreaded hitting phase

(7 Posts)
chloechloe Tue 08-Nov-16 17:21:04

DD is 19mo and in the awful habit of hitting people round the face. Mainly me and DH, but also other kids at nursery and even my PIL when they're talking via FaceTime!

We've tried consistently following the usual tips - staying calm to model good behavior, telling her no, that she's to be gentle and showing her what she should do by stroking her on the head. But it just doesn't work! It's starting to upset and frustrate me now and I'm very tempted to shout and/or walk away when she keeps doing it.

Any tips gratefully received!

Terramirabilis Tue 08-Nov-16 17:26:09

We are dealing with this right now with DS who's 26 mo. We're doing what you're doing and it's somewhat successful (perhaps because he's older than your DD and therefore has more understanding?) But not totally effective. We're considering trying ignoring tantrums and only intervening if he tries to hit as we're concerned the attention may be escalating the situation.

ncayley115 Wed 09-Nov-16 12:54:34

I'd be interested in any tips - my 21 month old son had got so aggressive lately when he doesn't get his own way. Actually goes "Ughhh"! and will throw or hit! Not nice....

MrsA2 Thu 10-Nov-16 13:57:05

We went through this! A combination of not overdoing our response (a quick no and then take her away from the situation - we realised before we were reacting majorly and she was doing it more for the reaction), emphasing any time she was kind and how happy that made someone and time out worked for us. In all honesty though, I suspect it was actually just her getting older and her language improving that actually made the difference

I feel for you. It's an awful stage - particularly when they are hitting other kids.

chloechloe Thu 10-Nov-16 19:25:32

Glad to know we're not the only ones going through it! I wonder if she's actually enjoying getting a reaction and that it encourages her more. I might try just saying no and then moving away from her or distracting her.

On a good note we've had a few days at nursery now without any hitting - she's just saving it for at home!

letmepeeinpeace Thu 10-Nov-16 19:29:15

Watching with great interest!

Dixiechick17 Fri 11-Nov-16 13:19:48

We get this occasionally, my DD is 17 months. I say a firm no, then place her down sitting on the floor, she generally has a short tantrum, after a minute I ask if she wants a cuddle and then carry on what we were doing. Other times if I think she's getting annoyed I go for distraction. She's a little young still though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now