Talk

Advanced search

Little lifesavers

(16 Posts)
ObsidianWinter Tue 08-Nov-16 17:19:04

Hi everyone. My sister is pregnant with her first baby (due in June), and I'm planning on making a motorcycle nappy cake for her baby shower. In it, I want to stash all kinds of practical little things that will make life easier but most people don't think of until they desepratley need it (like at 2am on a sunday when the baby's first tooth is coming through and you would give your right arm for some liquid anbesol).

I'm trying to think back to when my son was a newborn, but all I can come up with is anbesol, teetha, and cream for chapped nipples.

What do you wish you'd had in the house (or what were you glad you had) when your baby was born?

(She will already be inheriting the basics like clothes, Moses basket etc)

Luckystar1 Tue 08-Nov-16 17:21:56

Nasal saline spray, a Nose Frieda, nail scissors, decent nappy cream, calpol, a dummy, nipple shields?

EstelleRoberts Tue 08-Nov-16 17:26:25

What a lovely idea.

Junior olbas oil. Metanium.

I would avoid the Anbesol, personally. It's banned in the States, as it's extremely dangerous in overdose, and very easy to give an overdose. Maybe give a chewy teething toy, instead? Sophie la Girafe is excellent, and also my DD had some keys that had gel in which you could put in the fridge to make them cold. Can't remember the make though, sorry!

CocoLoco87 Tue 08-Nov-16 17:36:18

Love this idea!

Lansinoh nipple cream, sudocrem, calpol, ear thermometer, bath thermometer (?), I definitely didn't have enough muslins for DC1. YOU could put some posh coffee in there for the late nights!

mellowyellow1 Tue 08-Nov-16 17:40:31

Baby Vicks think it's called snuffle babe? Also baby nasal spray, some calpol, few dummies. I wouldn't bother with bars of soap I have been given a few and never used them so far!

Heirhelp Tue 08-Nov-16 17:43:55

Infacol

Heirhelp Tue 08-Nov-16 17:48:30

Travel mug. Is she planning on breast feeding? Snacks.

Caterina99 Tue 08-Nov-16 17:51:59

Could do a few small gifts for your sister. Tea, coffee, travel mug, chocolates, biscuits, hand cream, bubble bath?

SleepFreeZone Tue 08-Nov-16 17:53:19

Teething powders.

SleepFreeZone Tue 08-Nov-16 17:54:51

A thousand breast pads and those cooling gel packs to cool when it fucking hurts

NotSoEagerBeaver Tue 08-Nov-16 17:58:28

Maybe a voucher for the new mum to buy herself an outfit? I never realised how many of my tops I had stretched and ruined until I tried wearing them after the birth smile

ObsidianWinter Tue 08-Nov-16 19:19:00

I'll probably do her a separate hamper with tea and chocolates and bath stuff (and I'll batch-cook a fuck tonne of meals to freeze for when they are too exhausted to cook)

She's planning on breastfeeding as much as possible but is making sure she has a pump so she can express if needed. She already has bottles for that.

I'm making a massive list of all your suggestions smile

annatha Tue 08-Nov-16 19:25:40

Infacol, more muslins that I ever thought I'd need, a stretchy wrap perhaps, dummies and bibs. Chocolate, flapjack, nice tea/coffee and shower stuff for the grown ups. You sound like a wonderful sister OP flowers

ObsidianWinter Wed 09-Nov-16 10:24:33

Ok, so for the nappy cake (http://www.sweetaprils.com/2011/08/diaper-motorcycle-tutorial-diy-how-to.html?m=1) so far I have:

Nappies (obviously)
Bibs
Muslins (I've found some big enough to use in the place of the ribbon to hold the wheels together too - goodbye useless ribbon)
Socks
Sippy cup for the headlight (she has bottles already)
Silicone teething rings
Cuddly toy
Nipple shields
Infacol
Baby nasal/saline spray
Calpol sachets
Nappy cream
Baby olbas oil
Lanolin nipple cream
Teething granules
Teething gel/liquid

For my sisters hamper:
Tea
Chocolate
Mum and Me New Mum stuff
Gel packs
Biscuits
Clothes voucher

.... can anyone think of anything I've missed?

Luckystar1 Wed 09-Nov-16 12:04:05

Witch hazel for your sister hamper (liquid distilled stuff).

Personally I'd prefer a lovely shower gel rather than that mother and baby stuff, and a very lightly scented/no scent if breastfeeding.

FlamingoSnuffle Fri 11-Nov-16 18:19:13

Breast pads and I had the breast milk collector things on because I had no off button so I soaked my through shed loads of disposable breast pads.

Big knickers! I had an emergency c section then a planned on for Ds2. Big granny pants were a godsend for going over my dressing.

Maternity pads for the bleeding afterwards. I used Kotex. As a tampon/cup user I underestimated how many I needed.

Also can I say what a lovely sister you are. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now