Talk

Advanced search

Recommend me reusable nappies!

(24 Posts)
SpecialStains Thu 03-Nov-16 10:51:23

I don't live anywhere near a nappy library and will need to order online.

I'd like all in one nappies, suitable from birth to potty training.

Recommendations?

MyMrKnightley Thu 03-Nov-16 15:56:31

Still awaiting baby (5 days late😠) but recommend eBay, went with little lamb sized myself mainly and a couple of other options to try. Came in great condition and really reasonable prices, now I can work out which works for my baby shape and buy more later. From my research that it is very much dependent on which suit your child and not one brand is sooooo much better than the others.

MistressMolecules Thu 03-Nov-16 16:04:30

We've been using cloth since dd2 since she was 8 weeks old and she is now 22 months. What has worked for us have been little bloom (Velcro), totsbots btp (though we can't get a good for with those anymore), miosolos (these have been brilliant but the newer ones have apparently had some PUL issues - ours are all pre-loved so no problems for us), for bedtime - little lamb bamboo when she was little and then moved to bamboozle size two.

The problem is what works for one person may not work for another -
So whilst I favour those above and they fit dd2 well, they may not fit your little one as well. If you have facebook there are lots of groups where you could buy single nappies (pre-loved) and then when you find what works stock up on those. Alternatively a lot of nappy libraries do postal loans, if you look on the pot library map, it will say which are postal. I will post some fb group links when I get to computer smile

AnnaBegins Thu 03-Nov-16 16:05:30

It so much depends on your child's shape. My skinny boy fits pop ins and mio solos best. The Aldi baby events always have mio solos at £7.99 so very affordable, but the most recent event has pretty much sold out. We don't get on with totsbots but many do.
We like all in ones for their convenience. But at night we use a little lamb 2 part system for reliability.
I would get one each of a few brands, plus some little lamb bamboo size 1s and wraps for night time, and see what works best.

MistressMolecules Thu 03-Nov-16 16:06:14

*nappy library map that should say, bloody phone and its auto correct angry

Spottyladybird Thu 03-Nov-16 16:08:42

Try looking at the nappy lady or Fill Your Pants. FYP do a trial pack that they'll post to you.

SpecialStains Thu 03-Nov-16 18:22:09

Thanks for the advice. smile

Titsalinabumsquash Thu 03-Nov-16 18:25:14

We use Close Parent Pop ins, they're great for day and night.

Go to Babi Pur and have a browse, they're great customer service and they do a package with a few brands to try.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Thu 03-Nov-16 18:30:14

Birth to potty nappies don't usually fit babies under 12 lb so if you want to cloth from birth you'll need a newborn kit too.

43percentburnt Thu 03-Nov-16 18:42:39

Have used cloth on 3 babies including twins.
Little lambs with blueberry wraps are great. Use a mixture of bamboo and microfibre. Bamboo with a bamboo boost at night.
Use little lamb fluffy inserts instead of disposable inserts.
Tots bots are ok, need changing more often. Find they tend to smell, and only one baby was a heavy wetter.
Bum genius are fab, last really well, use with bamboo booster.
Newborn eBay cheapie little bloom are good for tiny babies -10 for £30- change every 3hours or add a bamboo boost! I'm not too keen for older babies (we have one) but dh likes it.
Fuzzi bums need changing very regularly especially with a heavy wetter - last well though.
I have a random one I liked the pattern of - baba and boo - I find it makes clothes damp.
Blueberry are good but expensive.
Prefolds - get 5/6 as back up, with a bamboo boost and a fluff they are really good - I use a blueberry wrap.
Smartipants wraps have become tatty. You can get blueberry on offer 2 for £22 far better value.

Also make your own wipes and wipe solution, probably saved us £100's and you are washing anyway. Bamboo cotton chopped and hemmed, not pretty (won't win any awards) but saved lots!

Sometimes a nappy seems to be too small, but as babies shape changes they often fit better again! DS outgrew size one lambs, then thinned when he walked!

NotCitrus Thu 03-Nov-16 18:42:57

I would recommend getting a stash of second-hand ones from Clothnappytree or Facebook selling groups. Different babies suit different shapes. All-in-ones for up to potty training generally only fit from 6 months or so - would suggest some smaller ones to start. Motherease nappies and wraps seemed to be leak proof for a variety of shapes. Bumgenius are good for skinny babies, TotsBots and Blueberry for chubbier ones.

43percentburnt Thu 03-Nov-16 18:45:26

When I said we have one, I meant one larger little bloom, not one larger baby! Am tandem feeding at the moment so my typing is rubbish! Good luck!

Helspopje Thu 03-Nov-16 18:47:04

Blueberry and Charlie banana work best for us

dylsmimi Thu 03-Nov-16 18:52:16

I found this guide useful - www.fill-your-pants.com/user/downloads/FYPNAPPYGUIDE.pdf
I am sure there was a flow chart somewhere about what kind of nappy would suit you
I wasn't sure we would have a tumble dryer so needed fast drying, easy use nappies as I wanted nursery to use them
We have a combination of Charlie banana and smarti pants.
They were easy to use, quick to wash and dry.
Just waiting for ds3 to get big enough to try with a small baby as ds2 was almost 2 before we got into using them daily (they are very handy for wriggly big ones as no disposable tabs to rip off when they are moving)

Redhead79 Thu 03-Nov-16 19:37:58

Much as others have said, you need to try a few and see what works.
We have used cloth since 6 weeks - little lamb and totsbots to begin with. The little lambs were fab but have not lasted well (I think our hard water killed the Velcro) though they were used lots!
Now we have a fairly varied selection of all in ones- tots bots, Charlie banana gro via, miso solo (just picked up another one today... In the sale at Aldi!) and a random bum genius.
I would also recommend fill your pants....I'm lucky enough to live close by and they have a showroom were you can have a look all the different types the sell and have also picked up some pre loved bits from them.

The nappy lady is also really good for advise and I would also recommend reusable wipes (sil kindly bought us a cheeky wipes kit as she'd been so impressed with them, though as others have said you could easily make your own)

Dixiechick17 Thu 03-Nov-16 20:09:31

I use the bambino miosolo nappies, they're all in one and I really like them. I bought additional boosters from Amazon, all the nappies were purchased in the aldi baby event for 7.99 each smile

dylsmimi Fri 04-Nov-16 05:05:27

Oh and don't forget to see if your local authority offers cash back on buying nappies - normally through the waste/environment department

SpecialStains Fri 11-Nov-16 13:13:30

Hi All, thanks again for the advice. I ended up picking up some Bambino Mio Solos from my nearest Aldi for only £4.98 each, which I've been really pleased with. They are nice and slim! I also got a wonderoos pocket nappy kit, which after some trial and error with the popper settings, haven't leaked, not even for 5hrs overnight. They do give the baby a big cloth bum though!

Really pleased with this cloth nappy stuff. It's a lot less work than I was imagining, and DH (who wasn't initially convinced at the idea) is now well on board! When I get paid next month, I'm going to order a couple of bum genius ones.

Thanks again for the advice. smile

CarrotPuff Fri 11-Nov-16 19:34:38

Check your council page - some will post you a trial kit or give cash back or vouchers.

SpecialStains Fri 11-Nov-16 20:49:16

Thanks for the advice carrot - I did check, but sadly my council scrapped their scheme a few years ago. In a bit of a reusable nappy black spot in the NW!

CelticPromise Fri 11-Nov-16 20:57:37

Good old terry squares fit all shapes and sizes and are adaptable as they grow. Also cheap as chips and dry quickly. I used mine with Motherease wraps, nappy nippas to fasten and a mix of fleece and reusable liners. They are ready to go again for soon to be here dc2.

Woody67 Tue 15-Nov-16 20:32:52

I have nothing useful to say but your thread has made me quite nostalgic. I used cloth nappies with both of my boys and loved them. I used various types, all in ones and 2 part but can't remember the makes. I remember making fleece liners to keep their little bottoms dry.

DS1 is sitting next to me watching the football now, he's celebrating his 16 birthday today. 5ft 10, size 9 feet and shaving!!

SpecialStains Tue 15-Nov-16 22:26:44

Oh, woody! Your post has me welling up! My newborn is already 3months and will be your DS's age in no time at all! Happy Birthday to your DS! cakeflowers

It's all going really well on the cloth nappy front. I went back and got more all in ones from Aldi (only £4.98 each!) and have been using cloth full time for the last week. Only had a few leaks, but I'm sure that'll improve. Even gone the whole hog and using reusable wipes as well!

If anyone else is considering it, reusable nappies are not as hard or gross as you'd imagine. Wish I'd used them from the start.

Woody67 Tue 15-Nov-16 23:24:47

Thank you! 16 years ago at this time he was 2 hours old! I remember us gazing at each other in wonder in the small hours. He was a beautiful baby and has grown into a lovely young man. Enjoy your time with your baby, time will fly by.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now