Talk

Advanced search

Reflux baby... leaving the house?

(17 Posts)
Fenced Thu 03-Nov-16 10:46:38

Dd, 3 months, has reflux. Hates her car seat (screams and panics), sicks up in her pram, won't sleep lying down (or lie flat AT ALL).

How on earth am I supposed to leave the house, ever?

Gardencentregroupie Thu 03-Nov-16 10:49:23

I know this is a standard MN answer but do you have a good sling/wrap/carrier? My DD didn't have reflux (possibly silent reflux but that's a whole other thread), she would scream and scream inconsolably in the car seat and pram, the Ergo saved my sanity. And a clean top for me and babygro for her in my change bag.

Fenced Thu 03-Nov-16 10:54:19

What's this 'sanity' you speak of?

Tried a sling, didn't love it. Also live in the arse end of nowhere, with a main road the only option toward civilisation :-(

Gardencentregroupie Thu 03-Nov-16 10:58:29

Which sling did you try? It might be an idea trying an online sling hire to find one that suits you both. DD hated the baby bjorn and I hated the wrap, but the ergo worked for us both. Are you near a bus stop or anything? Is there anything at all within walking distance? Or any transport links?

Oh and the sanity may be an overstatement wink

Fenced Thu 03-Nov-16 12:36:52

It's was one of those stretchy ones.
Nope, bus/transport not an option.
Car or staying in the house.
Car not an option ATM, so staying in it is :-(

kiki22 Thu 03-Nov-16 20:28:40

Have u put her sitting up in the pram both of mine hated the carry cot flat bit but liked to sit in the buggy part, ds1 from I think about 5/6 weeks ds2 from 2 weeks. Also what car seat is she in? If its the kind you carry you might want to try the next size up with an infant insert ds1 hated the car seat and often screamed himself sick in it we change him and he was so much better being more upright.

Slings don't do it for me I'm not really into having a baby strapped to me it irritates me after a while.

fitzbilly Thu 03-Nov-16 20:31:36

Have you tried a dummy?

My Ds has silent reflux (here on string medication for it) and he would scream and scream in the car until I gave in and out of desperation gave him a dummy. Now he sucks away on the dummy every car trip instead of screaming, which is good as we live in the arse end of no where and I have to drive the other dcs to school.

RNBrie Thu 03-Nov-16 20:39:54

What does the gp say about the reflux? What medication have you been prescribed? Have they offered you omeprazole? Keep pushing for a resolution, there are many ways of treating reflux and don't stop pushing until you've tried them all (different things work for different babies).

How long is the drive into town? Depending on how long it takes, I'd just do it. The crying is bad but it's important that you get out a bit. Is there anyone who can drive you into town? You might find it easier if you're sat in the back holding her hand. You might find that by forcing the car seat issue for a while she will get used to it.

Get a baby bjorn sling (check Facebook selling sites for a second hand one as they are expensive) and a warm wooly pram suit for her. Once you've made it into town, put her in the sling and walk. The baby bjorn is much easier to use than the wrap slings and give your back a lot of good support.

My first had reflux and it was a nightmare. Sometimes you do just have to accept they will cry and get on with life accordingly. You don't ever get used to the crying but if you know it's just the duration of a car journey you can get through it.

peasandquiet Thu 03-Nov-16 20:40:06

My reflux baby hated the car seat. Moved to ERF at 7-8 months as he met min weight, so much happier being upright.
Are you using bassinet on pram or the seat? We switched to seat at 3 months because he just wouldn't lay down without screaming.
I feel your pain, it does get better, 1 was a turning point for us sorry to say you just need to wait for her to grow out of it, sorry not to have a magic answer for you.

Bubspub Thu 03-Nov-16 21:37:16

Do you have baby gaviscon prescribed by GP? If not get it, it helps. I used to go places where I knew I could leave quickly if my screamer was kicking off. I'd go for coffee and ask for it in a takeaway cup. Also go for walks on busy main roads, it drowns out the crying a bit. You have my sympathy, it's really tough. If you have friends and family now is the time to call in your favours, you need lots of breaks and lots of support x

Bubspub Thu 03-Nov-16 21:38:27

Also have you tried gripe water? It quells acid reflux and the taste sort of dazzles them. X

welshweasel Thu 03-Nov-16 21:41:18

Ranitidine and a dummy. As others have said, we have up on the bassinet very early and moved to the pushchair attachment.

ChocolateForAll Thu 03-Nov-16 21:46:06

Ranitidine and aptamil anti reflux milk were absolute game changers for us. Made a huge difference.

AnnaBegins Thu 03-Nov-16 21:56:35

Maybe a buckle sling like the connecta might be more comfy for you than a stretchy? Just to note, please don't follow the advice of the poster above who said snowsuit and baby bjorn, firstly the bjorns are not ergonomic carriers and not suitable for newborns, secondly snowsuits aren't recommended in slings for two reasons: baby could overheat and the padding can lead to uneven pressure points making baby uncomfortable.
My baby had reflux, we used Gaviscon and ranitidine with some success. It's not forever and does get better at 6 months when weaning. Hang on in there.

HonniBee Fri 04-Nov-16 05:13:53

Are you able to turn off the front airbag? My car-hating DS is much happier in the front where he can see me.

mudandmayhem01 Fri 04-Nov-16 06:02:32

How long is the drive to the nearest public transport link, if it isn't too far, get in the car, music on and or ear plugs in and drive! Then get on the bus or train and have some away from home time, it will be worth it.

Bubspub Sun 27-Nov-16 09:22:29

Have things improved for you at all OP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now