We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Baby slings - will they kill my back?

(17 Posts)
fruityb Mon 31-Oct-16 08:27:47

My DS is nearly 10 weeks old and when he was weighed a fortnight ago he weighed nearly a stone (he's also 62cm long). I am suffering with my back as lifting him up and down is taking its toll I think. Am thinking of getting a sling for when we take him out as some places may not be easy to access with buggy, but is it going to kill my back even more? I'm struggling to walk round with him or stand swaying to get him to sleep so I don't know if a sling is a good idea. Any advice?

teenmumandsowhat Mon 31-Oct-16 08:32:23

Not if you get the right kind of sling/ ssc (soft structured carrier). I recommend you look online and find your local sling library, where you can go along and trained consultants can help you find the right carrier for you.
But if you can't then some brands I recommend are.
Lillebaby- they have lumbar support.
Tula
Ergo
Sleepy Nico
Connecta

ChilliMum Mon 31-Oct-16 08:32:29

No they are great for your back as a good one will spread the weight over your back, shoulders and hips.
It's really important that you get the right one for you though. If you have a sling library near by (children's centre or toddler groups should have contact details) then it is well worth hiring a couple of different styles for a month to see what is the most comfortable.

GiraffeWithAShortNeck Mon 31-Oct-16 08:33:43

Maybe hire one from a sling library for a month and try it out? I genuinely find slings easier on my back than trying to carry the baby in my arms. I think I relax a bit knowing she's strapped in and I won't drop her.

SpecialStains Mon 31-Oct-16 08:37:35

I have a snugiwrap stretchy sling and an ergo baby soft structured carrier (cuddle pack type thing).

They're both fine and I use them for different things, but for walking I'd really recommend the ergo baby.

fruityb Mon 31-Oct-16 08:43:24

Thanks all smile am going to a baby group in the morning so will ask there - it's at the village hall. We're going away next week and it might just be easier than taking his buggy along. I'm struggling with my lower back which I think comes from being pregnant - my posture needs work as he was over 9lb and apparently my placenta was "enormous" according to the midwife so I've got a bit of a leaning back habit going on.

bluechameleon Mon 31-Oct-16 08:47:26

I still carry my large two year old regularly in a sling. My advice would be to avoid the high street carriers as they don't tend to be as comfortable (there are some exceptions - you can get the ergo in lots of places, and M&S sell connectas). Go to a sling library then you can buy them second hand on Facebook groups for good prices. I wasted £100 on a brand new baby bjorn which was too uncomfortable after about 4m. I then got a second hand moby go for £40 which I've only just had to replace with a toddler carrier, so got great value for money from. I hardly ever use a buggy and love carrying my son - you get so many more kisses!

fruityb Mon 31-Oct-16 08:53:40

My OH is worried it'll make DS clingy - it won't will it? I think it'll keep him warm in winter!

samecardoverandover Mon 31-Oct-16 09:08:22

Totally won't make them clingy, I carried 2 of my children until they were big (well into 2) and they have always been less clingy and more independent than the older 2.

fruityb Mon 31-Oct-16 09:19:31

Thank you. He's not particularly clingy now - he likes sleeping on us but will equally go to sleep fine in his play gym and what not. I'm quite happy cuddling my baby in all honesty but just wanted some opinion. Have found a sling library so will pop there this week. Didn't even know they existed!

lljkk Mon 31-Oct-16 09:33:55

I never got hang of a sling, my babies hated the ones I tried. I think you need a many hrs one to one lesson to master a sling, videos not good enough. (no sling libraries in my day.)
Only carrier I did ok with was a backpack one.

spacefrog35 Mon 31-Oct-16 09:37:01

We didn't get on with soft slings at all but DD loves being in her Stokke carrier which is one of the more structured kind. I have existing back issues and can carry her no problem in it.

letmepeeinpeace Mon 31-Oct-16 09:37:06

I'm currently nursing a very sore back after a stupid ring sling (which I will burn!) my ergo was ace but my son is 18 months now so guess I will be going back to buggies

teenmumandsowhat Mon 31-Oct-16 13:41:04

Letmepee - there's no need to give up at 18 months. There are plenty of toddler and preschool sized ssc's that can help you carry much longer.
I still carry regularly (2-3x a week) my nearly 4yr old. And my 2.5yr old.

Lesly0411 Tue 01-Nov-16 10:59:14

Pain in my back almost killed me when I tried a sling. But maybe it wasn't the right one...
My friend used a sling and she felt wonderful. I guess, you should buy one and try for yourself.

AllTheShoes Tue 01-Nov-16 11:06:29

It's partly about which sling (as others have said) and partly about working up to it. At one point I was happily carrying a 18kg 4yo on my back for an hour or two at a time (I had a preschooler Melkaj mei tai, which was brilliant). But I had carried her most days since birth, and was used to it. Wouldn't want to try it now for more than about 20 minutes!

fruityb Tue 01-Nov-16 11:50:20

Will see what they say on Thursday. We're going away next week and like to go for walks and it would help stop the buggy getting blathered lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now