Talk

Advanced search

What to do with my son...

(14 Posts)
lightcola Sat 29-Oct-16 23:59:14

We've just moved to a new area with no family near by (nearest is 100 miles) and no friends around. I am due baby # 2 at Christmas and I'm starting to panic about what we will do with # 1 when I go into labour. He is 3 years old. Has anyone been in the same boat? How did it work out? I hear second labours could be over very quickly so waiting for someone to come from a distance might not be feasible. Ahhhhh!!! Can someone please calm me down.

Wolfiefan Sun 30-Oct-16 00:01:20

Any chance someone can come and stay? Doula or friend or family member to be with you whilst DP stays with DC?

FATEdestiny Sun 30-Oct-16 00:15:17

If it was me I'd ask a trusted relative or friend if they would be able to come and stay for a while.

Runningbutnotscared Sun 30-Oct-16 00:15:21

it really depends on a lot of factors like where the hospital is, if your planning a home birth, do you have a dh?

Having recently been in your situation I found Giving birth alone in hospital to be a good experience. The midwives were lovely and my dh would have done very little to support me. I was much happier knowing ds was happy with family than I would have been having him looked after by a stranger.

FATEdestiny Sun 30-Oct-16 00:16:06

... I'd also try to befriend a neighbour pretty quickly, in case of emergency.

JaclynLouise Sun 30-Oct-16 00:27:44

I agree with others, try see if someone can stay? I had my second one a month ago, started with small twinges I ignored due to false alarms, within an hour I was in full on agonising contractions, hour later hospital went into hospital and she was here 3 hours after that, and that was 2 weeks early!
Hope it all works out well for you smile

TataEs Sun 30-Oct-16 00:28:46

100miles is about 2 hours, call when u go into labour, stay home as long as possible, go into hospital by urself (oh and ds can drop u) and then when family come ur oh can join u?

PlaymobilPirate Sun 30-Oct-16 00:30:13

I doubt anyone will come to stay around Xmas time except maybe grandparents?

Tbh your do will have to look after dc1 whilst you have the baby. A bit crap but I can't see what else you can do really

NotCitrus Sun 30-Oct-16 04:48:23

Is he in nursery? Staff may be happy to help.

DoodleCat Sun 30-Oct-16 04:54:47

My son stayed with us and watched his sister being born. He was quite happy watching tv on the ipad, occasionally looking up and saying Mummy okay? He was also 3. He still sometimes mentions it now, a year later.

How long was your last labour? My second was exactly half the time (1.5 hours).

lightcola Sun 30-Oct-16 06:30:00

Thank you everyone. My DH is adamant he will be there for the birth but I think he needs to realise that our DS comes first so it may not be an option. My plan is to ring family as soon as I think it's coming to give them time, it's just bad timing with it being Christmas and party season etc. My last labour was 9 hours. I did wonder if taking DS with us as last resort was an option, but I do prefer the just do it on my own if necessary. Thank you again.

PlaymobilPirate Sun 30-Oct-16 21:48:20

I'm fairly sure you'll not be allowed to have ds there for a hospital birth!

elephantoverthehill Sun 30-Oct-16 21:53:24

I was in a similar situation with DS2, DS1's childminder offered to have him regardless of time and made it clear she would not accept any payment for supporting us. There are some lovely people out there.

kiki22 Mon 31-Oct-16 16:51:00

Contact a local childminding group and ask if anyone can do emergency childcare.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now