Advanced search

Supervised Visitation

(4 Posts)
lananzack Sat 29-Oct-16 18:08:10

Long story short, I have a 10 month old daughter and her father very much loves her - but he is beyond irresponsible, he's not very smart when it comes to her safety and general needs.
He has pushed it too far recently and now I have no choice but to only allow him supervised visits.
The only thing is I have no idea how I go about it,
My plan was to allow him to see her at my house when I or a trusted family member is also there with them, but it was brought to my attention I may have to actually do it the legal way via contact centre and have paperwork and document everything yada yada as I shouldn't be taking it upon myself to restrict visits etc
But that was just advice given to me by a friend with no background in family law or anything.
What I'm asking really is can anyone shine a light on supervised visits? Could I just set the rules myself and have him see her at a place of my choosing with a trusted person of my choosing? Has anyone done it that way and it's worked out ok? Or will I have to contact an actual family law advisor and go the legal route to cover my back?
Any advice would be lovely.

sunshineintheclouds Sat 29-Oct-16 18:11:43

If he has PR (named on on birth certificate) then you cannot stop him having access unless you go to court for an order.
If there is no order in place he could take her whenever he wants and unless you have evidence he will cause her harm , you don't have any right to stop it.

lananzack Sat 29-Oct-16 18:20:51

@sunshineintheclouds Thankyou for that, he is on the birth certificate. I will have to contact Family Law on Monday morning. Here's me thinking I could do it the straightforward way.

sunshineintheclouds Sat 29-Oct-16 18:34:48

:-) no worries, but definitely get a residency order in place ASAP. So that your daughter legally lives with you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now