Talk

Advanced search

Baby lost 6oz??

(3 Posts)
butterfly92 Thu 27-Oct-16 17:02:49

My son weighed 8lb 6oz at birth, lost 5oz on day 5 and has lost another oz on day 10. My midwife said not to worry this can be normal just need to weigh more often and feed whenever I can which I do! He is on 3-4oz of milk on demand and feed when he is hungry... he isn't showing signs of diarrhoea, upset tummy or anything like that, he does have bad wind so i give him infacol which helps him release it maybe that was what made him lose weight as the gas in his tummy was stopping him from taking another oz of milk? I am just really concerned i am doing something wrong sad he is formula fed.

SpeakNoWords Thu 27-Oct-16 18:32:30

Nearly all newborns lose weight initially. From my calculations your baby has lost about 5% of birth weight which is in the normal range. It won't be anything you've done or not done iyswim.

Easier said than done, but try not to worry between now and your next weigh in. Keep feeding on demand, but perhaps don't let him go too long between offering a feed, so more than 4 hours or so in the daytime.

Cranb0rne Thu 27-Oct-16 20:26:55

Did you receive any IV meds during labour? These will cross the placenta into the baby and artificially inflate his birth weight making it look like he's lost more weight than he actually has. In reality, the weight loss is just your baby excreting the excess fluid!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now