Talk

Advanced search

Weaning.

(9 Posts)
LittleNettle Wed 26-Oct-16 18:17:10

I have started weaning my baby in the last week - started with baby rice for a few days, moved to pureed sweet potato, carrot, broccoli and corn.
Now I am feeling lost.
How often do you feed at the start? How quickly do you up this? Do you keep milk feeds the same? What kinds of foods should I be making? What kind of textures?
Feeling completely overwhelmed and don't want my baby to miss out on anything, while also terrified of making her poorly or overwhelmed!
Any help/advice/empathy is appreciated greatly!!

Timetogrowup2016 Wed 26-Oct-16 18:23:39

How old is baby ?
If 6 months yiu csn just give finger foods ?

Doje Wed 26-Oct-16 18:32:44

With DS1 I just fed him whenever he was awake in the early days. We did BLW and I had in the fridge various snacks - veggie muffins, pancakes etc. If it coincided with a meal time for me, he also ate. I looked on it as practice for him. DS2 just fitted in with us. If he was awake at a meal time, he ate with us. If not, he missed out.

Keep the milk feeds the same, and he'll gradually drink less as he gets more food down him, but don't be in a rush to reduce the milk. They still need to be on something like 20oz until they're 12 months.

With BLW, they eat what you eat. Take this with a pinch of salt (not literallysmile) as of course rice without cutlery is tricky for example. Sandwiches, things on toast, pasta, quiche, sausages, chicken roast dinner, fish pie etc are all fine!

Crumbelina Wed 26-Oct-16 18:39:05

I remember the feeling well! DD is now 12 months and well on her way. I can't do links at the moment but I can really recommend the Ella's Kitchen Purple book (around £7 on Amazon). It answered all my weaning questions, is very step by step for a novice and has lots of great recipes.

LittleNettle Wed 26-Oct-16 19:09:57

Thank you all - I am so hesitant to try different things incase it makes her poorly.
I might try and get ahold of the Ella book Crumbelina!

Crumbelina Wed 26-Oct-16 19:59:24

Yes, do! It was my Bible and well worth it. smile

Spudlet Wed 26-Oct-16 20:03:06

If you're in the Boots Parenting Club you should get a voucher for the Ella's Kitchen book free thlsmile

LittleNettle Wed 26-Oct-16 20:15:38

Oh thankyou Spudlet! I am so will do that and spend the money saved on tasty ingredients!

Crumbelina Wed 26-Oct-16 21:25:11

I think that might be the mini-edition (the main book has 192 pages). Worth getting it if it's free though and it might help you decide whether to buy the longer version.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now