Talk

Advanced search

Men B jab in morning.....or do i cancel again?

(19 Posts)
williwonti Tue 25-Oct-16 09:51:59

Been trying to decide all year, and can't. Read everything to read on it and i think (i think) i should get my 2 sons (2 and 5) done as it outweighs the reasons not to. I only know a couple of others who have so not discussed a lot. I've been thinking so much i'm overly confused now. What is everyone else thinking? Re cost, i don't "have" it but it is not an issue or rather, not part of the decision process.

Smartleatherbag Tue 25-Oct-16 09:56:56

Hi, I'm currently saving to get my two boys vaccinated against it. I've seen the effects of meningitis and would do anything to avoid it. The vax has been going for over a year now, and it's making a significant difference to infection rates, so yeah, I'd be going.

Zebrasinpyjamas Tue 25-Oct-16 10:00:14

My DS (aged 2) is having his booster on Friday. The consequences of catching meningitis are so serious I feel bad I didn't vaccinate before.
He had a temperature after the first jab and was grumpy for a day but it's still worth it in my opinion.
What's your worry about having it done?

booboo32 Tue 25-Oct-16 10:20:41

My boyfriend luckily had some money put away and offered to buy our daughter the men B . The cheapest place I could find it was boots . initially they put the price at £190 but when they released the new dates quite recently they had put it up to £220 which is still the cheapest I could find in my area . Also a small bonus is that the purchase goes on your boots advantage card as well . I have no regrets about the cost it was worth every penny . Quick injection no drama and my daughter has her follow up in December .

williwonti Tue 25-Oct-16 10:41:29

Just that it only protects against 88% of men b and they don't know how long for but almost certainly not for life. Not been in use that long so might be side effects we don't know about.

booboo32 Tue 25-Oct-16 10:51:08

Well no I have to agree with you it probably wouldn't protect them for life as most vaccines don't . I would of thought it would provide protection around the most vulnerable years of a child's life though . Due to the fact that they now offer this vaccine as standard to all newborn children they must be pretty confident in the fact this vaccine isn't going to have a detrimental effect as regards to side effects etc .

Zebrasinpyjamas Tue 25-Oct-16 11:04:28

I agree with booboo. I think I'd read the vaccine has been in use for years in other countries too but I did my research ages ago so can't cite a source.

PotatoBread Tue 25-Oct-16 11:05:54

I didn't hestitate in getting my newborn vaccinated with it.

GraceGrape Tue 25-Oct-16 11:11:22

I had it done for my two DC - paid for it out of my savings. Meningitis B is rare but can be very, very serious and I just want to minimise the risks to my DC as far as possible.

Womble75 Tue 25-Oct-16 11:15:27

I had it done for my 3 yo DD. Was on a waiting list earlier in the year when there was a shortage. Didn't hesitate and saved to pay for it. Did it at boots for £95 a vaccine.
She was a bit off colour for 24 hours but nothing calpol didn't help with and no worse than her other vaccinations.
For me it was a no brainer seeing what devastation it can cause.

williwonti Tue 25-Oct-16 11:21:02

Thanks all. I think i have read all there is to read and my gut says to do it, i'll take any reduction in the risk.

GraceGrape Tue 25-Oct-16 11:54:47

Mine both had very sore arms afterwards so recommend stocking up on Calpol and ibuprofen.

WiMoChi Tue 25-Oct-16 15:14:43

Hi. My 2 year old not having it and neither will my new baby.

The insert states that safety and effectiveness has not been established in kids under 10. And some of the ingredients look a bit dodgy.

I'm neither pro or anti vaccine but believe we should all research before giving our kids stuff. I will be giving the others though. Well up to age one. But not the flu one smile

Good luck in your decision x

thatsn0tmyname Tue 25-Oct-16 15:19:38

We had our two vaccinated at Boots. I would say take smarties, take 1 adultvper child as they won't jab with siblings watching, each appt approx 30 mins first time to go over the paperwork and then they observe the child with an epipen handy in case of problems. Boots have recently put up their prices so two jabs per child cost us £360 total but would now be £420.

thatsn0tmyname Tue 25-Oct-16 15:20:48

Oh yes, give them calpol in the car before heading to Boots.

HappyCamel Tue 25-Oct-16 15:21:30

It's a standard vaccine in the US. Both kids have had it since coming here. No problems
for us.

butterfly86 Tue 25-Oct-16 21:01:22

We had our 2 year old dd vaccinated recently I thought about it for a while but put her on the waiting list in the meantime, I decided I could never forgive myself if she ever got men b and there had been a vaccine available. She didn't flinch having it done and had no side effects after no temperature or anything just a sore arm. She had it done at boots £95 a dose.

williwonti Wed 26-Oct-16 21:08:34

In and out in 3 mins. No monitoring but at least half done.

lilyborderterrier Wed 26-Oct-16 22:22:24

I've got my daughter booked in at Boots for hers in a few weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now