Talk

Advanced search

Games to play with a 6 month old ...

(12 Posts)
LittleNettle Mon 24-Oct-16 11:06:59

My baby is approaching 6 months and I can't help but feel I don't play with her enough.
She has some toys and I talk and sing with her - but have no idea of games.
I read about development stages she is supposed to be reaching, and while reaching some - some she is not. Is this due to a lack of stimulation? And also not yet crawling. I don't want to get caught up in stages etc. as I am aware that all babies are different, I just don't want her to be bored!
Thanks for any advice!

panad317 Mon 24-Oct-16 11:17:02

You'll know if she's bored. At 6 months, I think all DD had was a sit me up donut, a bumbo, play mats and a few noisy toys!
The best thing you can do at this stage is to get on the floor with her to play, talk and sing, which is something you already do. You have nothing to be worried about, keep doing what you're doing smile

APocketfulOfStars Mon 24-Oct-16 11:21:42

My DS has just turned 6 months too. It feels like a weird stage. He is frustrated because he can't move more. I find he really likes peek a boo....popping your face out from behind things/leaving the room very briefly and popping back in. Or covering his face with a cloth/laundry and playing 'where's XXX' . He also likes being lifted high, bounced and swung, with big noises. Especially towards the mirror baby. All these are quite exhausting for the person playing with him, but he loves it, they always make him laugh. On the plus side, my arm muscles are getting pretty toned... wink

APocketfulOfStars Mon 24-Oct-16 11:24:10

Oh, I meant to say, I also feel I don't play with him enough at times too. Usually around 4pm, when my tiredness kicks in! As a PP said, you'll know when she's bored. And I think it's good for them to have some time to just 'be' and process things, and possibly start to have some inkling of independent play...

LittleNettle Mon 24-Oct-16 11:40:24

Thank you. I just feel guilty if I put her in her seat and let her play while I get on with cooking etc.
She makes lots of noise and laughs but isn't moving so maybe what I see as boredom from her is frustration instead.
I also don't want to spend a fortune on toys if they are not needed!

APocketfulOfStars Mon 24-Oct-16 14:09:01

I'm exactly the same. DS loves his jumperoo but I feel like I should be the one entertaining him....I have to keep telling myself its ok. If she's laughing and making noises, she isn't bored. Also for toys...try giving her kitchen utensils...DS likes silicon spatulas, whisk and spoons!

Look up treasure boxes for babies. Loads of ideas where you put different things in a box and just let them explore. It's got a special name 'heuretic'???? Play and is supposed to be really good for helpibg them develop themselves. Most of it is stuff you'd probably have around the house too.

tappitytaptap Mon 24-Oct-16 19:57:01

I have similar aged DS, loves simple toys like stacking rings, cups, big blocks to bash together and about, cuddly toys, those Lamaze toys. I talk and sing to him and then as a PP said, throw him about, aeroplanes etc a bit. He sits in a playnest or wriggles around on the floor watching me iron or clean etc sometimes too and is perfectly happy doing that. I don't know any 6 month olds who crawl so I wouldn't worry about that. DS is almost 7 months and nowhere near, still not stable sitting. I get the frustration thing too so am doing lots of tummy time in order to hopefully give him an appetite for crawling. So far he is just at the reaching out and dragging stuff towards him stage, so I just leave a few toys dotted around the blanket just out of reach... maybe worth a go?

LittleNettle Tue 25-Oct-16 07:38:38

APocketfulOfStars - thankyou! Treasure boxes sound interesting! It's so hard to get a balance righthe between playing with them, allowing them to play themselves and actually getting things done! These are issues I definitely didn't think of when pregnant!
Tapittytaptap - comforting to know about the crawling. I always said I would never get caught up on when babies are 'supposed' to reach certain milestones, but it is difficult not to at times.
When I have to get housework done sometimes she watching me with a look like she is bored as she is in her chair - but if I leave her mat for two minutes while I turn my back she has rolled herself away!

APocketfulOfStars Tue 25-Oct-16 08:35:42

Think they're also sometimes called sensory boxes. Hours minutes of fun!

I know what you mean about the balance. It's not easy. Someone said to me though, that second/third and so on babies just have to spend a little more time on their own, and they turn out just fine. So I think we are being completely understandably a little precious first born...

DS isnt crawling either. He sits well and can turn in a circle on his tummy and occasionally goes backwards when he wants to go forwards. That's when he gets really frustrated!

thatsn0tmyname Tue 25-Oct-16 08:40:01

Once the baby starts crawling and sitting, baby prrof your cupboards but try and keep one free for the baby. Fill it with wooden spoons, bottle with rice in, sparkly ribbons, scarves etc as a sensory cupboard.

tappitytaptap Tue 25-Oct-16 12:21:17

That sounds like a fun idea thatsnotmyname, if only I had a spare cupboard!

FizzyFeet Wed 26-Oct-16 21:47:30

Peekaboo was a big hit with mine at 6 months! Treasure baskets too. Also rhymes with actions (especially if they end up in tickling), finger games like 'this little piggy', 'round and round the garden'. And books. Lots of books. Give her a shaker and play music (shake one yourself) - she'll probably just put it in her mouth but sooner or later she'll join in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now