Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Newborn sleeping patterns

(5 Posts)
newsflash Sat 22-Oct-16 07:59:00

Hi all

My DS is 3 weeks on Tuesday and during the day usually wakes every 2-3 hours to feed, mostly 2.

I've noticed at night he's started sleeping for quite long stretches and I'm not sure whether I should be waking him to feed or not!

For example last night he fed at midnight and then I had to wake him up at 4.50am to feed (I was going to wake him at 4am but I fell asleep for too long!)

He fed fine and has now gone back to sleep and not woke up again yet so has been asleep for 3 hours so far.

Is it ok to let him sleep for 4/5 hour stretches?

He is a big boy and has regained his birth weight at his 2 week check up and has lots of wet and dirty nappies.

Would be great to hear your thoughts.

Bertieboo1 Sat 22-Oct-16 08:23:45

I would say at that age and given his good weight gain, it's fine to leave him for 4/5 hour stretches. Happy for you that you are both getting some good sleep smile

newsflash Sat 22-Oct-16 17:07:21

Ok great! I just don't want him to go hungry but I suppose he will let me know pretty sharpish if he is! Thanks for your reply

Seekingmiracles Mon 24-Oct-16 16:51:26

I asked the midwife this as my DD (10days old) can quite easily sleep for 5 hours at night...she said if formula feeding and feeding regularly (2-3 hours) during the day then they can be left until they wake naturally. If breastfeeding they shouldn't be left longer than 4-5 hours. Hope that helps

fizzicles Mon 24-Oct-16 17:14:36

When my DD was a week old she slept midnight til 7. I was totally freaked out as DD1 didn't sleep for more than 4 hours straight til she was a couple of months old. Asked midwife if it was a problem, and she said as long as baby was gaining weight there was no need to worry. She was bf and gaining plenty. Kept this up a few nights a week until she was 3 months, and then decided she'd had enough of that and stared waking every 2-3hours!

So I would say make the most of it while it lasts!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now