Talk

Advanced search

Constantly worried about my newborn and sids

(8 Posts)
butterfly92 Tue 18-Oct-16 23:56:10

Hi all. I had my son yesterday and i am in hospital due to having a csection. I have been absolutely paranoid from the get go, always concerned about his movements etc! Anyway now he is here everything seems worse. I am obsessed with him feeling hot or cold, his face was quite warm earlier with the heating on (in hospital) so i took a blanket off and put a thin cotton one on and he seems to have cooled down hut isnt freezing to the touch (chest is warm, face felt normal
Warm complexion). I am really overreacting aren't i? I know that overheating is associated with sids but now im worried about the fact that he is too cold! This is such a hard depressing life shock sad

GloveBug Tue 18-Oct-16 23:59:12

Yes it's so worrying when they're tiny and the worry never really goes away, as they get older you just have different things to worry about. You do sound very down though. Can you mention how you're feeling too your midwife?

MissHemsworth Wed 19-Oct-16 00:01:57

Have you got a room thermometer & an apnea Matt for when you get home? They give some peace of mind. Definitely worth speaking to MW about how you feel if you think you are feeling anxious or depressed. Congratulations btw! flowers

DixieWishbone Wed 19-Oct-16 00:06:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tonsiltennis Wed 19-Oct-16 00:09:11

Congratulations firstly!

Your hormones will be haywire and I remember feeling exactly the same! We had one of those massive Amby nests for DS1 and I fully expected my husband to disassemble and reassemble it a couple of times a day when we went up and down for naps, and then had a screaming fit when he pointed out that this was a tad unreasonable!

I too was terrified of SIDS. By way of reassurance though, SIDS is massively uncommon in very young babies, the peak time for SIDS is actually 12 weeks and it drops off rapidly to become very uncommon after about 8 months.

The fear and paranoia passes. Honest it does. Day 5ish can be a bit rough, crying etc but it's normal so ride it out and try to enjoy it. How I miss those peepy eyes on newborns! Best wishes!

GloveBug Wed 19-Oct-16 00:11:28

There are quite few options for movement/breathing monitors on the market. Angel and tommee tipped do movement sensors. I couldn't have coped without mine. However a lot of my worries were amplified by PND so I really think it's worth speaking to your midwife if you think this could be a possibility for you too

melonribena Wed 19-Oct-16 05:58:52

I understand your fears. I have a 3 week old and it worries me.
For my first ds we bought the angel care baby monitor that detects breathing/ movement. I highly recommend it. It gave us peace of mind for 3 years!
We got it from John Lewis

waterrat Wed 19-Oct-16 08:17:06

Angel care monitors are reallt unnecessary OP. Yes it's natural to worry but Sids is highly highly unlikely to be a risk...The main risk factors are very young parents , parents smoking and baby being put down on their tummy . Heat or overheating has nothing to do with Sids. It's better your baby is warm than cold.

As long as you are always in the room with your newborn you are taking all the precautions uou need to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now