Talk

Advanced search

3wk newborn head control/ head flinging horror....

(24 Posts)
Boatmum1 Thu 13-Oct-16 16:01:12

Hello!

Am a FTM with a 3 wk old boy- he's pretty big (born at 41 weeks) and very strong (remarked on by all care staff)- which is being attributed to my pregnancy gym routine and neurotic healthy diet (both of which have gone out the window PP obvi!)

My baby has quite a big head - which, in spite of all best attempts to stop him- he likes to fling about when he's fussy - often to a bizarre angle- or to use to head butt me with when he's on my chest... (he's got some wind issues that get him a bit upset- mainly due to my hose pipe like milk letdown ... currently trying the usual "remedies" to manage both)

Anyway- the point is- probably once a day- maybe twice - when he's over excited about another food time, or troubled by wind- he manages to contort himself or fling his head in such a way, that even though I catch it in my hand or the crook of my arm before it snaps right back, I worry the force of the "flop" is hurting him, and every time his head flops back (even into my hand) I feel like a completely terrible mother, whose baby is going to grow up with awful brain damage. (Shaken baby syndrome of course is the (ir)rational fear) And then I google all the ways his head and neck are fragile and feel even worse.

Is this a massive overreaction? Is the odd head loll of his own making going to do damage? And if it is, how on earth can I stop him doing it, without hurting him more?! (The force he exerts is considerable!)

Thanks mums....

MidsummersNight Thu 13-Oct-16 16:04:19

I'd be interested to know how a 'neurotic' healthy diet and gym routine creates a strong baby.

<misses point>

blueskyinmarch Thu 13-Oct-16 16:04:20

it is completely normal for babies to do this .Please don’t worry about it.

idontlikealdi Thu 13-Oct-16 16:07:06

What on earth has a gym routine got to do with a big baby?

Apart from that, it's normal. Wait till he gets bigger and he stars head butting your chin.

WindInThePussyWillows Thu 13-Oct-16 16:07:48

Both my twin boys went through a stage of doing this about that age, they were both very strong little babies even though I ate like a pig and spent months in bed wink

Boatmum1 Thu 13-Oct-16 16:07:57

@Midsummernight ... I wasn't sure either, but HV told me some studies had been done about maternal exercise impacting on (increased) placental oxygen transfer and baby heart rate increases which apparently impact on babies post partum ...

WhispersOfWickedness Thu 13-Oct-16 16:08:24

It's totally normal, in a few weeks he will have enough head control that he won't do it anymore smile

LaContessaDiPlumpOnSea Thu 13-Oct-16 16:08:43

Don't worry op grin

DrSeuss Thu 13-Oct-16 16:10:23

Just be grateful he doesn't headset you full in the nose, like my son did! Perfectly normal, btw.

Boatmum1 Thu 13-Oct-16 16:11:43

Also that wasn't a brag about my pregnancy lifestyle - just assumed that if my HV knew about links between exercise and baby development, the vastly wiser mumsnet faithful would know about it too and might find it useful in their reply....

Boatmum1 Thu 13-Oct-16 16:13:40

Thanks ladies - FTM horrors are endless - head flops, head butts, whistling noises when he breathes, passing motorcycles, my evening glass of wine, our lurcher licking the baby's feet all seem like potential "it might kill the baby!!!" Scenarios right now... Google is not my friend! Thank you for being kind/reassuring xx

DrSeuss Thu 13-Oct-16 16:13:49

Clearly, you have a Hell of a lot more faith in your HV than I ever did! He'll be fine.

passingthrough1 Thu 13-Oct-16 17:17:49

I just don't like it when the head flings into my head. I would assume they'd all have shaken baby syndrome though if flinging the head about brought that on since it's just a baby "thing"?

Boatmum1 Thu 13-Oct-16 17:35:22

@passingthrough1 I hadn't realised that they all do it.... I thought Bertie was being a unique pickle... Glad he's actually super normo!!!

passingthrough1 Thu 13-Oct-16 18:12:20

Ha I hope it's normal!!!

passingthrough1 Thu 13-Oct-16 18:13:01

Only because mine did it (does a little bit now when I don't expect it) I mean.

MoreGilmoreGirls Thu 13-Oct-16 18:27:06

Yeah totally normal, he'll learn to control it better soon enough.

DoItTooJulia Thu 13-Oct-16 18:31:55

Congratulations!

I always figured that if they could do it themselves, they weren't hurting themselves. <Looks at ds2 who used to wriggle up his crib like a slug and hit his head on the top part 10 times a night at this age>

Boatmum1 Thu 13-Oct-16 18:47:05

Ha- thanks ladies - it's terrifying loving something THIS much and them being so utterly bent on self destruction... So far this evening, we've had a bizarre exorcist style head twist/ back bend as we assumed the feeding position, and a triple-nipple Headbutt which ended with a jet of tit milk in the eye for bubs ... And it's only 6.45. takes deep breaths and reaches for the wine, and the radio remote in time for the archers ...

kiki22 Thu 13-Oct-16 19:03:35

My ds1 done this he could sit up with support at 3 months and without at 4 I'm sure he was just desperate to sit up and was trying from early.

Ausernotanumber Thu 13-Oct-16 19:07:50

It's just a baby thing.

I never exercised and all mine did it. And my diet was shit. You do know the "very strong" is just a thing people say and really has nothing to do with your diet and exercise pre delivery, right?

Jinglebellsandv0dka Thu 13-Oct-16 19:15:35

I'd be interested to know how a 'neurotic' healthy diet and gym routine creates a strong baby

Me too grin

Dd2 was 9,11lb and was apparently going to be a proffesional tennis player as she was 'very strong' and had good head and neck control.

My diet was shite.

I put it down to Dh bring Dutch. His DMG is positively Amazonian - hands like shovels!

Jinglebellsandv0dka Thu 13-Oct-16 19:17:20

FTM= full time mum?

Ausernotanumber Thu 13-Oct-16 19:17:27

If a neurotic healthy diet and exercise in the mother creates strong children, how come all the hockey etc that DD plays isn't making me thin? 😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now