Talk

Advanced search

Maternity leave question

(2 Posts)
milkyman Thu 13-Oct-16 09:53:01

I am aware you need to give 8 weeks notice to return. Does this include if you wish to take 52 weeks (i.e. you would give notice at 44 weeks)? Do I need to let employer know if I want to take Additional Maternity Leave?

minipie Thu 13-Oct-16 10:27:16

Did you tell them what date you wanted to return before you left?

If you did, then you need to give 8 weeks notice if you want to come back earlier or later than that date.

The notice has to be given 8 weeks before the date you originally said you wanted to return. (Not 8 weeks before the new date of return). So for example if you originally said you wanted to come back on 1 January, but have now decided you want to come back on 1 April, then you have to tell them 8 weeks before the 1 January.

If you didn't give them any date of return before you left, they have to assume you will be taking a year. So you wouldn't need to give them any notice if you want to take a year. You'd only have to give them notice if you want to come back earlier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now