Talk

Advanced search

Should my 6mth old dis still be doing this?

(15 Posts)
Dellabob123 Wed 12-Oct-16 16:10:53

Hi, ds is still roughly sleeping every 2 hours in the day, so 4 short naps in the day. He is ebf and feeding every 2-3 hours as well. I thought he might start stretching them out now. I've just started blw but not much going in. He will take a bottle of expressed but I just find it hard to get the time to do it. He flat out refuses formula.

He's asleep by 7, up at 10, 12 and 4. He will settle after feed but how can I change this? Surely he should be going for longer by now? I can't get anything done, we are all knackered.

Please tell me if there is something I can do.

Purplebluebird Wed 12-Oct-16 16:17:58

My son was like that too, then around 9 months he started having "night parties" where he was awake for 2 hours in the middle of the night. I'm afraid he sounds just normal. : /

ElphabaTheGreen Wed 12-Oct-16 16:32:25

Bog normal and a helluva lot better than either of mine were at the same age. It's probably waking for reassurance, not hunger, and that's fine (for him, if not for you).

It's exhausting but it doesn't last forever brew

Heirhelp Wed 12-Oct-16 17:03:14

My ff 5 month old has a smiliar sleep pattern. Usually only waking about 10 and 3ish occasionally she wants more milk during the night. As she is on formula, I know how much milk she is having and it a lot.

StrawberryQuik Wed 12-Oct-16 17:37:29

Sounds similar to my DS, he's 6m, breastfed and am also doing BLW ( he mainly licks stuff or smears it round the highchair smile ) He rarely goes longer than 3h between feeds, but it's usually 1.5-2h.

He's currently on his 4th nap of the day (though he usually just has three)

Wakes between 2 and 3 times a night on average.

Sounds normal to me, hope this reassures you.

As for coping with the night times, I co-sleep most of the time although we are sloowly trying to get him to spend the whole night in the cot.

chloechloe Thu 13-Oct-16 09:07:43

I think you just have to wait it out. DD was pretty similar at that age having 5 x 30 min naps with a feed after each one. For many babies it's developmental and they only start to sleep for over 45 min and stretch out their feeds at 8 months which DD did. This also coincided with her crawling and taking in more solids, so maybe that played a role too.

Weaning doesn't make a difference IMO in the early stages - the foods they eat (carrots, apple etc) at the beginning don't fill them up.

Hang on in there, it will get better!

Dellabob123 Thu 13-Oct-16 19:18:13

Oh goody!

Thanks for replies, at least I'm not going insane alone!
strawberry your ds sounds identical.
purple - oh god. night parties sound hell.

Last night I waited to see what would happen if I didn't get up to feed him through the night....you know what. He moaned for about 4 minutes and went back to sleep both times until 7!!!! Was it a one off? Who thinks he'll do it again tonight? I've got everything crossed

StrawberryQuik Thu 13-Oct-16 20:53:26

Dellabob you might get lucky, half the time when my DS wakes in the night he's not actually hungry (I offer, he's not always bothered) he just wants a quick cuddle because he's kicked the covers off/rolled into the corner of the cot etc and woken himself up.

ODog Fri 14-Oct-16 07:11:03

Very similar to my ebf 5mo. My DS was way worse at this age so I think DD is a dream baby. But probably just average.

Dellabob123 Fri 14-Oct-16 09:18:47

This is really reassuring to hear. Last night I moved him from our room after 1 am feed and he slept til 7.

Maybe we were keeping him up or he's just coincidentally decided he doesn't want all those feeds? I'm sticking with it though.

On a different note, I just gave him a bit of that aptimil porridge with some blueberries and strawberries. He wasn't that fussed by it but he came up with a mammoth red lumpy rash around his neck? He's breathing fine and having a nap...I keep checking him.

I gave him strawberry before and no issues...could it be the porridge?..

Belmo Fri 14-Oct-16 10:34:02

Does it contain milk? I first found out my dd was allergic to cows milk when she came out in hives after eating a similar baby type porridge.

StrawberryQuik Fri 14-Oct-16 11:30:33

I think quite often allergic reactions show up the second time you try things, there's a scientific reason behind it but I'm not sure what it is.

Heirhelp Fri 14-Oct-16 15:29:02

Strawberries often cause allergies so it could have been them or the milk.

Dellabob123 Fri 14-Oct-16 19:21:34

Hmm, well the rash/hives disappeared after nap...is that normal for allergic reaction?

I didn't give him any more of either today. Should I try one again and see what the cause is.. I'm not sure what you're supposed to do?

I guess the aptimil porridge had cows milk in it. Never used before.

ElphabaTheGreen Fri 14-Oct-16 21:30:53

It's usually strawberries that do that, and only because they're acidic - it's not strictly an allergic reaction, more a mild reaction due to delicate baby skin. Milk allergies have gastro symptoms <voice of bitter experience>.

Use normal porridge or Ready Brek, OP. Far cheaper and means you're not encouraging a formula company any more than is absolutely necessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now