Fireplaces and newborn

(9 Posts)
Almondbiscotti Sat 08-Oct-16 21:16:14

Hi
Just wondered what your thoughts are about fireplaces and children.

Weve ripped the old one out and dont know whether to plaster and make it a decorative spot for flowers/keep clean or to brave putting a wood burning stove with a fireguard of course.

Not keen on fake electric or gas fireplaces.

What have you all done with your fireplaces?

Thanks!

starsinyourpies Sat 08-Oct-16 21:18:52

Wood burner and massive fire guard. So cosy!

ThursdayLastWeek Sat 08-Oct-16 21:23:01

We have a wood burner, a 3yo and a 7mo. It's not in the main living room so it's not an immediate danger. We use a playpen around it and supervise the toddler when he's in the same room as it.

Coconut0il Sat 08-Oct-16 22:13:54

We took ours out totally. Capped the gas and plastered the wall. Lots of extra space for sofa/chair/toys. Family members have fires and the biggest hassle is stopping DS2, 1, walking off with the coals.

kiki22 Sat 08-Oct-16 22:15:25

I plastered mine I don't like fires and fireplaces

nennyrainbow Sat 08-Oct-16 22:22:35

We have wood burners. Stating the obvious, but they're only a risk when they're lit, so you could always save lighting it until after DC's bedtime if you're worried, assuming you've got central heating too.
Don't get the fake ones : they're the preserve of the over 70s. And a fake electric / gas one would be just as much of a risk.

Highlove Sat 08-Oct-16 22:23:42

Wood burner and big fire guard, plus extra caution when toddler is about. It's so lovely and cosy, it's worth it. I remember loving out fire when I was s child, too - a lovely film and marshmallows melted on the fire for a cosy family night in. Can't wait to do that with my two when they're bigger.

Highlove Sat 08-Oct-16 22:25:39

As Nenny says, we tend to light it mainly after the toddler's in bed. When we swap the marshmallows for red wine! Just lush.

BreatheDeep Sun 09-Oct-16 07:07:54

We have a fireplace in one room and woodburner in the other. We don't use either until DC is in bed. We only burn logs and don't have any in them in the daytime. We use a fireguard around the fireplace to stop him touching any ash etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now