Talk

Advanced search

How often do you wash your kids hair?

(31 Posts)
NoCapes Sat 08-Oct-16 10:03:55

I don't mean to start one of those threads, just genuinely questioning how to do things

My older DC have a bath or shower on a Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday nights and on a Saturday morning and I generally wash their hair every time
DS's is pretty short so not an issue but DD's is getting quite long now (she won't have it cut any more than a trim) and she hates having it dried, so it's becoming an issue and this week I haven't bothered having a fight with her about it and left it

She's only 5 so it doesn't get greasy or smell
She hasn't had it washed since Tuesday and it genuinely looks no different than it did before

Would it be really gross to tie her hair up in the bath and only wash it once a week on a Sunday?

megletthesecond Sat 08-Oct-16 10:06:09

5/6 days a week since they started school, they're 9 & 8 now. And a preventative nit comb on Fridays, which we all hate but they've never got nits so maybe it helps.

Crystal15 Sat 08-Oct-16 10:07:17

Summer a shower every day and hair washed. Winter every other day. Boys so pretty quick

Haggisfish Sat 08-Oct-16 10:07:21

Every other day/every three days. Don't dry it with a hairdryer as it takes too long.

WanderingTrolley1 Sat 08-Oct-16 10:08:24

Once a week, maybe, for my 2 and 3 year olds.

kimlo Sat 08-Oct-16 10:14:51

shower everyday, hair wash everyother day.
I dont use a hair dryer just comb it through and leave it to dry naturally.

GraceGrape Sat 08-Oct-16 10:18:17

I have a 4 and 6 year old and only shampoo their hair once a week after swimming, although their hair also gets wet in the shower sometimes. Both their hair looks and smells fine. I've found with my own hair that the more frequently I wash it, the more it needs washing.

oldbirdy Sat 08-Oct-16 10:22:27

Shower or bath every other day, hair wash Sunday night until puberty...then hair wash whenever showering!

Lilaclily Sat 08-Oct-16 10:23:38

10 + 12 : currently twice a week more if swimming

NoCapes Sat 08-Oct-16 10:24:22

I couldn't just leave it to dry naturally, dont like the thought of her sleeping on wet hair

dancemom Sat 08-Oct-16 10:27:05

Plait it after washing and will be dry and wavy in the morning

worldsworstchildren Sat 08-Oct-16 10:32:27

My DD has long thick wavy hair. I wash it twice a week. I squeeze it dry with towel, plait it, blow dry briefly - easier because I can hold the plait away from her (she hates hairdryer).
Then and this is genius imho 'feed' plait into a sock, bring the bottom of sock up and tie a knot. This keeps damp hair off her neck and remaining water soaks into the sock. When I go up hour later take sock off while she's asleep and it's almost bone dry.

DowntheTown Sat 08-Oct-16 10:32:49

Once or twice a week here. Seems fine.

CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger Sat 08-Oct-16 10:35:11

Bath or shower every other day (including getting hair wet), actual hair wash once a week (8yo DD with long wavy hair)

dementedpixie Sat 08-Oct-16 10:37:01

Hair wash every couple of days. Dd is 12 though and it looks greasy if left more than that

LegoCaltrops Sat 08-Oct-16 10:41:38

About once per week. It never looks or feels dirty though. DD is 4 & has very thick, curly hair nearly long enough to sit on. She is fascinated by Rapunzel... She does obviously go in the shower more than once a week.

ayeokthen Sat 08-Oct-16 10:43:08

Both DS wear gel in their hair (their choice) so every day, DD has long hair and she likes it blow dried (won't sleep with wet hair) and it's very fine so 2-3 times per week as it's tied back every day so doesn't get minging.

ayeokthen Sat 08-Oct-16 10:43:48

They all have bath/shower every day, I just tie DDs hair up on days it's not getting washed.

LegoCaltrops Sat 08-Oct-16 10:46:30

Aha yes, I keep DD's hair tied up all the time. It lessens the chance of porridge / paint / nits getting into it. Plus I get to play about with all the fancy plaits I can't do in my hair because it's too thin from medication.

Lookinatu Sat 08-Oct-16 10:47:11

Ds has a bath/shower every night and I was his hair 3/4 times a week.

Mycraneisfixed Sat 08-Oct-16 11:02:38

Long haired DDs' hair washed on a Sunday afternoon till high school. DS's hair whenever he bathed or showered. Children's hair doesn't get greasy till puberty.

ayeokthen Sat 08-Oct-16 11:27:50

LegoCaltrops exactly why I do it! Lice are rife round here, and I'd rather avoid them if possible (hence gel for the boys and keeping DDs hair up) and I love the hair tutorials on YouTube although some are best kept for in the house as I'm not that good

Bagina Sat 08-Oct-16 11:33:39

Three times a week. Wet plait hair.

ImogenTubbs Sat 08-Oct-16 19:12:39

DD is 3. We wash her hair once a week.

PoochiePoo Sat 08-Oct-16 19:15:51

Twice a week - on a Sunday and mid-week after swimming

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now