Talk

Advanced search

Taking new baby abroad.. help?

(19 Posts)
kayleighb21 Fri 07-Oct-16 12:32:53

I am due to have my first baby in January. It is the first grandchild on both sides so understandably they are excited.
My OHs parents live in Cyprus and naturally they want to see baby when they can. They are coming to us after he is born but they have asked my OH if they pay for our tickets will we go for two weeks to them in May. I know it's lovely of them to offer to pay and it is a free holiday for us really.. but I'm a bit apprehensive of taking a 4 month old on a plane and abroad as it is a very hot country. I don't want to cause arguments or stop them seeing their grandchild but I am a little worried.. even the car journey to the airport is 3 hours itself.
Any opinions/experience/advice would be welcome

DeadGood Fri 07-Oct-16 12:46:14

I flew with a 6 week old - my first - alone, on a 22 hour flight.

I think you will be fine, and think it won't be too hot in May?

Is there something else you are worried about?

Cloeycat Fri 07-Oct-16 12:52:22

Haven't yet travelled with a baby but am planning on taking mine to Ireland when it's about 3/4 weeks old. And again at 2 months and probably to Portugal in August at 4 months. I'm probably crazy.

In May Cyprus won't be too hot, still chilly in the evenings and about 25 degrees during the day.

exexpat Fri 07-Oct-16 12:53:27

Four months is a good age to travel with. You will have finished the essential vaccinations, and they are very portable at that stage, particularly if you are breastfeeding. It gets much harder once they start crawling and toddling. I took both mine on an 8-hour flight to a hot country when they were about four months old and it was absolutely fine.

I'd be more worried about the 3-hour car journey to the airport (mine always got restless in car seats) - can you factor in a reasonable stop half-way there?

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Fri 07-Oct-16 12:56:56

I didn't appreciate it with my first, but when they are small and portable they're soooo much easier to fly with.

Flight to Cyprus is short haul and whilst car journey is on the long side, the cAr would have AC.

Enjoy yourselves smile

DavidPuddy Fri 07-Oct-16 13:20:51

My baby was born in January and we took her to Northern Cyprus in May just gone. Flying was easier than I expected and we had two flights each way as we changed planes in Istanbul. Cyprus wasn't too hot, we just kept out of the sun and kept our plans simple. You will have your parents there so you will have the chance to hand the baby over and go for a swim.

We took tge baby in the pool in the evening when the sun was low and she loved it. It was a really nice holiday, I am certainly glad we did it.

We live abroad, so we have had to fly home a couple of times to bring the baby to meet family, so the travelling doesn't alarm us any more.

DavidPuddy Fri 07-Oct-16 13:24:02

We were in Northern Cyprus so not sure if it is the same in the south (if that is where your parents live), but the people love babies. She loved all the attention. People were super helpful and I felt very comfortable breastfeeding everywhere.

Bythebeach Fri 07-Oct-16 13:37:01

I have travelled with my 3 at various baby ages including 4, 9, 11 and 14 months (and throughout toddlerhood). In my opinion, a 13 hour flight with a 4 month old was waaaay easier than any flight with an older baby/toddler. At that age they are small, easily portable, immobile, sleeps lots and can suckle to relieve the ear pressure changes. Go!!

29redshoes Fri 07-Oct-16 13:41:25

I recently took my four month old on a plane for the first time. I was very nervous but it was much easier than I was expecting. We found the airport staff were really accommodating, we were fast tracked the security queue as we had a small baby.

I'm formula feeding and it hasn't been a problem, I took ready made formula for the flight. If you feed on take off and landing it helps to stop their ears hurting from the change in pressure.

You obviously can't know what your baby will be like yet, but unlike PPs mine actually loves the car too!

Metalhead Fri 07-Oct-16 19:41:06

Agree with pp, flying with a non-crawler is much easier than when they're that bit older!

With regard to the heat, we were abroad visiting family this summer when DD2 was 8 months (so a bit older) and it was 35 degrees, and it was absolutely fine. Just stay out of the sun as much as you can during the hottest part of the day and take her swimming when you can! smile

DollyBarton Fri 07-Oct-16 22:30:44

It's really no problem and assuming you get on with your inlaws should be a lovely holiday. Babies love the heat in my experience and sleep well. Flights are excellent with a 4 month old (not so much with a 1 month old). Flying and Heat are seriously not an issue.

TheMidnightHour Fri 07-Oct-16 22:39:06

Agree with above that it's a good time to go. Flew with my daughter first at 8 weeks and it just gets harder as they start moving. Going to be a nightmare now she can walk! Took her to Turkey last May it was a lovely time of year to go really not too hot. Make sure you take socks though or all the grandmas will be clucking over your poor cold baby while you worry about heat stroke and your baby doesn't care!

Just make sure you sort out the passport ASAP. Ours came through quickly but you don't want to be caught out!

mumofthemonsters808 Fri 07-Oct-16 22:52:06

I went to Majorca with Ds when he was 6 weeks old and it was a doodle.He was asleep for the majority of the time, in the shade of course and just woke up to be fed.One thing that was worth it's weight in gold was a mosquito net or a cat net as I know them.I wouldn't have been brave enough to book a holiday with such a tiny baby, the holiday was booked twelve months in advance, before I knew I was pregnant.My friend did offer to have him but I was so glad we all went together.At least at your parents, you will have all your creature comforts at hand.

nic266uk Fri 07-Oct-16 23:03:33

I went abroad with my DS when he was 6month old, you will be fine to be honest it will probably be the easiest holiday you will have, in terms of crawling, walking etc. We went again this year he was 20 month old, we had a good time but we did find it harder than the time before because he's into everything grin, so my advice is go and enjoy smile

seven201 Fri 07-Oct-16 23:22:49

When will the tickets be booked? I really think it depends on the child. Most would be fine but my dd is nearly 4 months and loves screaming. The thought of putting her on a plane is just ugh. She has silent reflux and milk allergy so is not an 'easy' (hate that term) baby. Basically if she's awake (which is most of the time) then she has to be held by a walking or at least swaying person which can't always happen on a flight! I'm sure most babies would be fine but definitely not all of them. That's said the flight can't be that long? I probably would inflict my dd on the plane's passengers if it meant I got a free holiday - would be worth the stress! We recently did a long drive and as our dd hates the car we left at 5am just to try and fit in with her least angry time! Maybe you could book flights around a good time of day for your child (obviously not possible to do so yet!).

LBOCS2 Fri 07-Oct-16 23:44:37

We took DD1 to Morocco at 16 weeks. It was absolutely fine, she mostly slept on the plane and coped really well with the heat; we just kept her in the shade wearing not very much!

Chintaria Sat 08-Oct-16 11:50:43

I took both my dc's on planes for the first time when they were 3 months old - on my own for the first time with ds & then with ds and dd. It was absolutely fine & SO much easier traveling with them at them at age than when they are older!
We fly back to the uk quite regularly, and until they were about 8/9 months it was pretty easy - I fed them both to sleep on their first flights, and they slept through the whole thing 😄
If you have a 3 hour car journey I'd think about having a nice long break to split it up - allow plenty of time and hope for good flight times!

Caterina99 Sat 08-Oct-16 20:06:47

I flew alone with DS from USA to UK to visit family when he was 5 months. It was much easier than the same trip a year later when he was running all over the place and actually needed to be entertained.

Wore him in a carrier through the airport. Everyone was so lovely and helpful. He mostly slept on the plane and in car. No food, just milk required. I was formula feeding so more faff, but still wasn't too bad and breastfeeding would be much easier. Non mobile makes your life so much easier!

Zebrasinpyjamas Sat 08-Oct-16 20:13:11

Dc1 - I would have found going away at that age just about achievable but hard. Dc2 - took her away at 3.5 months and it was a doddle (relatively).
You will manage the holiday but how enjoyable it is will depend a lot on your baby and your transition to motherhood. As pp said maybe book flights close to the time (or get flexible ones that you could defer?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now