Talk

Advanced search

Moving country

(4 Posts)
Rachsasha Fri 07-Oct-16 11:03:32

Hi ladies
My husband and I moved away from the uk for his work and have lived away for 5 years. We now have a 3 year old son who was born in this country, goes to nursery and has lots of friends.
We are now returning to the U.K where we will be nearer family.
How do I explain all this to my son? I don't want this to be a dreadful experience for him. It's breaking my heart separating him from his friends.
Any suggestions?
Thank you

SavoyCabbage Fri 07-Oct-16 11:11:48

We emigrated when my dd was two and she was really sad as she was too young to understand. My other dd was five so we could say 'no we can't go and see grandma because she is in England. Remember when we went on the aeroplanes?' But my younger dd didn't get it.

I would just say to her 'we can't go to grandmas today but we can go on the big bus and you can sit upstairs and we will see if we can see any dogs out of the window'

Try to keep some things the same. What you eat. His toys. Your routine. I wouldn't build it up too much. You are just moving.

You will have people at the other end though, which we didn't. The first time my dds came back to the uk they couldn't believe all the family they had. People who know their names and that loved them.

Rachsasha Fri 07-Oct-16 18:13:38

Thank you so much you've helped me feel better x

SavoyCabbage Fri 07-Oct-16 20:12:14

That's ok. There is a living overseas section here on Mumsnet which you might like to look at.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how your ds will take it in his stride. I'm a nursery school teacher and their friendships are so fluid anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now