Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dummy weaning HELP!

(7 Posts)
HaggisMuncher Wed 05-Oct-16 13:32:33

Trying cold turkey with almost two year old now. We are currently both sitting crying in different rooms with no sign of nap. What doin do?

HaggisMuncher Wed 05-Oct-16 13:33:07

do i

RNBrie Wed 05-Oct-16 13:35:27

Just give back the dummy! There is no need to take it away at 2 is there!?!

We started having an "in bed only" rule about that age so that she knew it was just for sleep time, then just after she turned 3 we talked about it and she chose to give it up in return for a trip to the toy shop. No tears at all.

Orsono Wed 05-Oct-16 13:45:50

Exactly what RNBrie said. Work on sleep times only until they're old enough to strike a fair deal. We did the dummy gnome, leaving all dummies under pillow and getting a toy in the morning. The idea of a gnome collecting used dummies is a terrifying concept if you ask me, but it worked for DS aged 3 - no tears and no asking for a dummy after the first day.

HaggisMuncher Wed 05-Oct-16 13:58:36

I caved. All went silent instantly.
He only has it for sleep but we've been told by the dentist to ditch it as its affecting his teeth. I feel awful for him as he doesn't know how to settle himself without it (although manages at the child minder) and I don't know how to settle him without it. And I feel guilty for caving after an hour of letting him be so upset. Mummy fail. sad

RNBrie Wed 05-Oct-16 14:37:18

You have not failed. You tried something and it didn't work but that's not failing, that's good parenting, at least you tried. Reassess and move on!

I'd ask the childminder what she does at nap time if he's fine there without it.

But you might find nighttimes are an issue even if he can fall asleep without it he might well start waking up in the middle of the night.

Does he already have a comforter/soft toy? If not, I'd introduce one of those first so he has something to keep him company and then try again without a dummy. A couple more months isn't going to make a huge difference to his teeth so you have time to experiment.

itwillbegrandsure Wed 05-Oct-16 15:00:15

Aw, the poor thing isn't even 2 yet and probably doesn't understand why his dummy is being taken away from him.
My DD has just turned 3 and still has a dummy at night. We wanted to wean her at the start of the year but there was so much going on in her life (new childminder, starting pre-school, potty training, then new baby brother all in 6 months) that we thought it would be unfair to take away her only comfort!
Having said that, I was reluctant to give her a dummy to begin with for fear she'd end up with crooked teeth but I found super orthodontic dummy's made by MAM called MAM Perfect. Her teeth have grown fine!

We will be weaning her off her dummy around Christmas though and plan to do this by using a fairy door which we'll put on her bedroom wall. You can get them in different colours (just google 'fairy door', also on Amazon) and if he's not into fairies you can say it's where the elves live or something!
Anyway, we're planning on explaining to her that the fairies need her dummy to give to another little girl for Christmas who isn't as lucky as her to have had one for all this time (or something along those lines). Fingers crossed it will work!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now