Talk

Advanced search

Help. At end of tether with DD age 2

(9 Posts)
Nuggy2013 Wed 05-Oct-16 08:51:49

DD age 2, nearly 3. Due to have a baby this week and her behaviour has gone fucking crazy. Our happy little toddler who could throw a random tantrum has evolved into a whinging, whining constant cryer. Everything is asked with her crying, if she doesn't get what she wants she cries, if she gets it she cries.
I know it sounds dramatic but this is every day before and after nursery, where she is the perfect child. I know she's probably worried and confused about the baby coming but any and I mean any advice is welcome, phase? Need to change style of parenting??? Anything???
DH is doing majority of care at the moment and he's starting to crack up so all help welcome!!!

BarbarianMum Wed 05-Oct-16 12:25:06

Oh love, just what you need eh?

Your dd has a lot of change coming over the next few weeks and so do you. I recommend that you just get through them as best you can - all the kind, firm parenting you can manage in your usual style - consistency is probably better than innovation just now. Can you find 20 min or so of "special time" each day for the 2 of you to read books/watch TV/play together that you could keep up after the baby is here?

Maybe she's unsettled because things are changing, maybe it's "just" a phase - I wouldn't worry too much about resolving it right now, just deal with it day to day whilst you all get used to the new normal.

Nuggy2013 Wed 05-Oct-16 12:28:51

Thanks for the reply, we're currently having as much 1 to 1 as possible but even then she's whinging and will get out of bed and demand tv (specifically Ben and fucking Holly!)during the night!!! (Her preferred time is around 3am....confused)
Will try and be more firm and consistent with me and DH saying the same thing!!!

DefinitelyNotRuth Wed 05-Oct-16 12:32:56

Oh love, Im in the same boat except baby is 3 weeks old now but I feel like my 2 year has had a personality transplant! I have no words of wisdom but can offer a hand hold. Apparently, it will get better.... until then, I'm sat in a lay by having a sob while they both nap in the back of the car! confused

Nuggy2013 Wed 05-Oct-16 12:40:09

Oh DefinitelyNotRuth, that sounds awful! I expected some change (how bloody naive of me....) but didn't think it would be this bad!!! flowers for you, your words of wisdom will be appreciated!!!

Tanito279 Wed 05-Oct-16 12:41:39

My DD just turned 3 and is exactly the same. No baby excuse either. She's clingy, whiny and teary all the time. Her set phrase is "I don't want it/to...". I've tried giving her whatever she wanted for a few days and when that didn't help, stopped giving her choices and tried being strict. She's the same whatever. I've even googled adhd when at the end of my tether.
Now I chant "it's a phase" in my head and try not to cry when she's gone to bed.
Good luck to you op.

DefinitelyNotRuth Wed 05-Oct-16 12:53:00

Today is not a good day! Tomorrow will be better.... not sure how but I'm sure it will be. Hooray for back to back Peppa Pig on demand!

Nuggy2013 Thu 06-Oct-16 13:02:50

Shine a light. Started the day off with an angel, by 11am she turned into a possessed demonic psychopath who screamed
To watch to on my phone which she never does??? All I'm repeating in my head is 'this will pass.... Maybe not til she's 18 but it will pass'!! Best of luck to us all!!!

DefinitelyNotRuth Thu 06-Oct-16 18:00:00

Hang in there love! Today was a good day... she has been at nursery all day, haha!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now