Stopping the pushchair with 3yo

(5 Posts)
sparkle789 Mon 03-Oct-16 11:14:34

Dd was 3 in June. I'm trying to stop using the pushchair but it's a nightmare. She can walk quite far if she wants to but if she doesn't she will tantrum, lie on the floor and basically just refuse to move. I can't carry her far and tbh don't want to get into that habit. Should I just wait a bit and try again or has anyone got any tips?

mintthins Mon 03-Oct-16 11:17:40

A scooter helped when ours were that age. Tassels on the handle bars, collection of posties elastic bands on the stem, stickers you name it. But it got them out of the buggy.

Don't give in to the tantrums though. A friend of mine used to pick up her DD whenever she asked, and as a result now has a buggered back, and an eleven year old who still refuses to walk anywhere.

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Mon 03-Oct-16 11:18:25

Has she to a scooter? My DS was much more inclined to scoot than walk ( still is actually)

dinkystinky Mon 03-Oct-16 11:19:35

scooter with a tow rope (to save your back) is the answer.

Illstartexercisingtomorrow Mon 03-Oct-16 13:25:04

Why don't you just wait a bit longer? Is there a reason for wanting her out of the buggy now specifically?

Depends on your child's temperament. I learned quite early on that DD will learn new things/change behaviours very easily and quickly if left to do it in her own time, whereas if I suggest it and push it it becomes a real battleground and she will oppose me just for the sake of it.

Perhaps if you let it go right now and don't make a big deal of it she might decide she's interested in the independence of walking herself. Pointing out interesting leaves and pebbles that she can pick up is also good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now