Talk

Advanced search

Baby gets wet despite wearing nappy at night? HELP

(36 Posts)
HueysDad Sat 01-Oct-16 15:00:35

Hello.
Our 7mth baby Huey manages to soak himself at night despite the nappy.
It seems to come up over the top so it soaks his front, then of course it soaks his sheet as well so at 3am we are changing the lot.

Anyone got any advice on how to stop this? We make sure winky is pointing down, tucking the flaps hard in place, pulling it up around his belly button so he looks all Simon Cowell...but still gets wet sad

Cheers

www.havehueywilltravel lovely places to go in Devon...

dementedpixie Sat 01-Oct-16 15:03:13

What flaps are you tucking in? Do you need a bigger size for better absorbancy?

TwigletsMakeMeViolent Sat 01-Oct-16 15:04:10

Have you tried going up a nappy size or two?

Thanks for the Devon tips!

BingBongBingBong Sat 01-Oct-16 15:06:14

Go up a size or 2, try different brands and change it literally seconds before putting DC to bed.

GlitteryFluff Sat 01-Oct-16 15:08:31

Are you trying the ones with + after the number?
So if he's a size 5, buy 5+ for night. They're more absorbent not bigger.

duskonthelawn Sat 01-Oct-16 15:08:57

Buy them in a plus size so they are more absorbant

MUjunkie Sat 01-Oct-16 15:13:31

My son always used to leak with pampers, I changed to huggies and then he was fine! My nephew leaked with huggies, yet was fine with pampers! Maybe just try another brand

sianihedgehog Sat 01-Oct-16 15:16:44

Go up a size, try a different brand, check that his bodysuit isn't too short in the body.

HueysDad Sat 01-Oct-16 15:19:48

Have tried up one size but could always go up a second size i suppose it wouldnt hurt. Heard of turning them front to back but imagine that could be catastrophic!
A couple of his body suits ARE getting tight, so possibly that could be restricting flow downwards.

Flisspaps Sat 01-Oct-16 15:27:43

Go up a size.

You're not tucking in the frill bit at the top of his legs are you?

HueysDad Sat 01-Oct-16 15:41:11

no just the tuck in flaps

dementedpixie Sat 01-Oct-16 15:49:27

Where are these flaps? I never tucked anything in.

NotWithoutMyMerkin Sat 01-Oct-16 15:52:36

If nappies leak out of the top I find it's generally because they've been fastened tight around tummy but with wriggling in the night the nappy has slipped down towards the hips which are slimmer than a tummy and therefore it's loose. Have a look when you change one after a sleep to see if it's slipping down from where you originally fastened it

HueysDad Sat 01-Oct-16 16:08:07

that last is a good point. tight around tummy probably means loose around waist and i have been hiking them up high to try and prevent it....ok a number of things to try now. cool

Stevefromstevenage Sat 01-Oct-16 16:11:09

Apparently the + on nappy means they are more absorbent so the whole of MN recently learned so if you are using 3 use 3+

GizmoFrisby Sat 01-Oct-16 17:24:17

After having a boy and a girl, move his willy facing down into the nappy. If he wees and it's facing upwards it will come out of the top of his nappy

eurochick Sat 01-Oct-16 17:28:47

Can you explain what flaps you are tucking?

Gillian1980 Sat 01-Oct-16 18:29:47

I think the flaps he means are under the sticky tabs. Like in this picture, the bit they are tucking round baby's hips.

monkeywithacowface Sat 01-Oct-16 18:33:10

We had this with ds2. We started putting a pull up nappy over the top of a normal nappy and he never leaked again.

ImTiredMum Sat 01-Oct-16 18:36:53

Exactly what MUjunkie said... the same thing used to happen when DS was a baby, try changing the nappy brand.

ODog Sat 01-Oct-16 19:55:08

We would change DS's nappy as we went to bed. We got very stealthy at it and he rarely stirred. We tried all the usual tricks e.g. Up a size, different brands, + sizes. The only thing that worked was changing it as we went up.

Septbaby Mon 03-Oct-16 23:18:55

Maternity pads!! Saved my life after my son became power pisser extraordinaire!

We used the really thick maternity pads (don't bother with the slim ones) stuck in nappy more towards the front to soak up extra wee. We had to do this for nearly a year but saved us a shed ton on washing and especially the ball ache of changing sheets and pjs at an ungodly hour!

Good luck!

HueysDad Tue 04-Oct-16 12:45:58

Haha Septbaby! Exactly that, power pisser.

Shifted nappy down so it wasnt around his waist....dry!
Same again, added in the Pampers Active Fit....soaking???

Ive just read your maternity pad idea out to SO...so that will be on the cards. We were going to try a 4 inside a 5, just for the hell of it but this seems better.

coursedarlin Tue 04-Oct-16 12:53:51

We found that pampers active fit were useless and the baby dry ones were fine all night. Also we went to a+ size and they were no problem at all

OreosOreosOreos Tue 04-Oct-16 12:57:15

I'd second the maternity pads idea. If you finds it works for you then you could buy some reusable nappy inserts, and just put them inside the disposable nappy. DS rarely pooed at night, so it was easy enough to wash them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now