Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Gah 10 days of diarrhoea in six-month-old

(15 Posts)
almmummy Thu 29-Sep-16 16:37:16

Little DS had a nasty tummy bug - the vomiting passed after two days but the loose, watery nappies won't quit! He's not dehydrated so the doc isn't worried and his weight is fine. We're a bit bored of constant outfit changes though and the poor chap is waking himself up soaking wet and covered in poo! Has anybody had this (or longer??) It seems to me like it really should have cleared up but nobody in the medical field is concerned.

almmummy Fri 30-Sep-16 08:19:45

Anyone? The HV has made me paranoid he has developed a lactose intolerance! Any experiences of long spells of diarrhoea in babies?

Spamandrandom Fri 30-Sep-16 08:28:21

Weeks of diarrhoea in 8 month old. It was a secondary lactose intolerance but kept him off lactose until 12months and then reintroduced following dietician advice. He's now 14 months and can eat anything. Weirdly he never had an issue with formula just fresh cows milk and it's variants.

Spamandrandom Fri 30-Sep-16 08:28:53

Also like yours, he had just had a virus.

CoodleMoodle Fri 30-Sep-16 08:39:12

We had the same issue with DD when she was about the same age. She had a milk allergy anyway, then developed a lactose intolerance after a stomach bug. It went on for so long that we ended up at the paediatrician (GP sent us there) and she prescribed lactose free formula (Nutramigen). DD was on it until about 16 months but it helped! She's 2.5 now and fine, although cows milk still gives her a sore tummy.

Hope you get it sorted soon, it's awful flowers

EsmesBees Fri 30-Sep-16 08:42:51

We had similar when dd had gastroenteritis. Lots of those rehydration sachets in a bottle got us through.

YouAreMyRain Fri 30-Sep-16 09:04:25

My DS had a temporary lactose intolerance after a stomach upset when he was a baby, I switched to lactose free everything and he was fine after a couple of months so switched back

almmummy Fri 30-Sep-16 13:38:37

Thanks everyone, I saw the GP today and she was very reassuring that they can take a while to shake a bug, plus he has reflux so already sensitive. She also encouraged weaning so that should cut down on the amount of formula he's having. Will keep lactose intolerance in mind though if it persists

Gillian1980 Fri 30-Sep-16 17:19:59

My DD had a 3 week bout of diarrhoea at 5 months - it was horrific. But she didn't get dehydrated so the GP and hospital both said there was nothing to do except wait it out 😔 I just felt so sorry for the poor little thing!

EstelleRoberts Fri 30-Sep-16 17:25:45

Had the exact same thing with my DD at 8 months. It gradually got better. She has reflux, cmpi plus lots of other allergies and intolerances too. I think some of them just have more sensitive systems than others. Fingers crossed it passes soon. I remember the constant changing of nappies became extremely wearing!

Chloebobs Mon 19-Dec-16 13:05:41

Hi almmummy. Did you get any answers to this? My 4 month old is going through same thing. Been to hospital a few times to be told it will pass. X

almmummy Mon 19-Dec-16 13:45:11

Hi there - after about two weeks we tried some rehydration sachets and it seemed to reset his system and he got better fairly quickly after that. It might just have run its course though, but maybe worth a go if baby will drink them!

Chloebobs Mon 19-Dec-16 15:30:04

Thank you for replying quickly! We will try that. If it doesnt pass in a few days they are checking to see if he has blockage but at the moment they think he has had a bug and made him have temporary milk intolerance. One strange thing is that he doesnt have diarrorea through the night. Very weird! X confused

Heirhelp Tue 20-Dec-16 11:38:29

My 7 month old had this after s and d. We swapped to lactose free formula yesterday afternoon and we have already seen an improvement.

Heirhelp Tue 20-Dec-16 11:39:21

www.nottsapc.nhs.uk/media/1089/lactose-intolerance-patient-information-leaflet-for-secondary-temporary-intolerance.pdf

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now