Baby with a cough - advice please!

(13 Posts)
Nottalotta Tue 13-Sep-16 21:05:02

Ds is 13 months. I have had a cough for weeks, its been throaty and quite forceful, but not poorly just lingering. I tend to get Colds on my chest (though this is more throat) and am pregnant so can't take a lot.

A couple of weeks ago ds started with it, exactly the same. I took him to the drs after a week (no temp, not poorly etc) and after a thorough check, just a virus. Yesterday he sneezed LOTS of snot out. Not green, just slimy and clear in general. He is teething too (has 7 teeth, looks to be getting some molars, big big lumps in his gums)

Tonight he is coughing quite a bit. I think it's the snot getting in his throat. Is there anything I can do to help? He has sniffle babe on and has had some calpol.still.not poorly, Still.no temp......

Dixiechick17 Tue 13-Sep-16 21:29:04

I find the calpol menthol plugins really good, my 15 month DD is just getting over bronchitis and it really helped,I also raise her cot at one end by popping a couple of cook books under the legs. I've been told that humidifiers are good as well. Hope he's feeling better soon.

han01uk Tue 13-Sep-16 21:32:26

Stick a wet Muslin near to him,get some humidity in the air. Vicks on feet is also great for easing coughs (don't ask me why?!). Prop his head up a bit,and try a plug in if no better

Nottalotta Tue 13-Sep-16 21:32:44

Thank you, I thought about raising the cot but he doesn't stay still, even in his sleep so would end up the wrong way up. I'll look for the plug ins tomorrow.

Nottalotta Tue 13-Sep-16 21:33:54

It's pretty humid already. We've got the fan on but just thought that might not be helping. I'll put some snufflebabe on his feet, can't hurt!

Dixiechick17 Tue 13-Sep-16 22:21:58

It only needs raising slightly, my DD is such a fidget bum when asleep and she doesn't end up at the bottom. It's just one of those things where as soon as you lay flat the tickle starts, so I sleep upright in those cases, with my DD I figured even a tiny raise is better than nothing smile

Nottalotta Wed 14-Sep-16 06:57:34

I'll try it if it carries on. He changes ends several times a night and is often crossways. 😀

Poocatcherchampion Wed 14-Sep-16 06:59:10

We have this exact same problem. No point in rising the cot either. I might take him back to the doc again soon.

louise987 Wed 14-Sep-16 07:04:01

I could have written your post! Same situation here, my 12m old DD has had this cough for about 3 months. Got a humidifier, raised the cot slightly, got the plugins, Vicks, nothing has solved it. I have found that tixylix cough medicine (suitable from 12months) helps a bit so is worth a try.

We too are back to the docs today for the 4th time... Good luck!

I have heard it is related to teething (isn't everything?!) and mucus dripping to the back of their throat, which is why it's worse at night.

louise987 Wed 14-Sep-16 07:04:25

I could have written your post! Same situation here, my 12m old DD has had this cough for about 3 months. Got a humidifier, raised the cot slightly, got the plugins, Vicks, nothing has solved it. I have found that tixylix cough medicine (suitable from 12months) helps a bit so is worth a try.

We too are back to the docs today for the 4th time... Good luck!

I have heard it is related to teething (isn't everything?!) and mucus dripping to the back of their throat, which is why it's worse at night.

Nottalotta Wed 14-Sep-16 19:24:40

Ah thanks, sorry you've had it for so long. I too have had the cough so I think that's where it start ed, but it had really improved. The great big bumpy gums and snot are surely not helping. He's not unwell in himself though have cancelled his 12month immunisations today, would prefer he had them when not already coughing and spotting.

ODog Wed 14-Sep-16 21:33:40

A humidifier was the solution to my toddlers night cough. Literally stopped it overnight.

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Wed 14-Sep-16 21:35:55

My ds coughs all night unless his window is open.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now