Talk

Advanced search

Stopping breastfeeding, shall I feed from cup or bottle ?

(10 Posts)
2015mom Mon 12-Sep-16 13:45:37

Hi my LO is going to be 1 on Wednesday and I am going to wean him off breastmilk. I am still in a dilemma as to whether to feed him from a cup or bottle at night and in the morning.

In the afternoon I will feed him from a cup.

But I am unsure about bottles for the morning and night purely because he will not be getting comfort from sucking from the breast so I thought at least he can suck from a bottle for comfort.

But then on the other hand he has not been used to a bottle since he was about 6 months when I stopped expressing milk..... So he will not know any different if I don't give him the bottle.

What did you guys do?

Daisyandbabies Mon 12-Sep-16 14:14:22

Mine went straight to cup. My daughter didn't drink any cows milk at all besides in her porridge for about 5 months but ate plenty of yogurt and cheese

FreeButtonBee Mon 12-Sep-16 14:31:26

Straight to sippy cup. Volume went down a lot for 2 months or so but appetite was generally really good so I wasn't too worried.

2015mom Mon 12-Sep-16 14:39:11

Thanks for help

He has been having cows milk in cereal so hopefully he will take to it

Heirhelp Mon 12-Sep-16 21:30:52

Advice is to stop using a bottle at 1 so I would just go straight to a cup.

2015mom Mon 12-Sep-16 22:30:51

Yeah they do say stop feeding from a bottle at 1 for various reasons... Hopefully the LO drinks loads from the cup lol

One way or the other have to wean him off breastmilk because I am pregnant

tintinenamerique Tue 13-Sep-16 07:11:54

I introduced a straw cup (with lid and handles) when my ds was 1. He soon chose this over boob for bedtime feed (last remaining breastfeed). Good luck

Ragwort Tue 13-Sep-16 07:20:49

Absolutely agree that a cup is best, no need for bottles at all.

2015mom Tue 13-Sep-16 20:29:13

I have brought the Tommee tippee sippee beaker and the Tommee tippee trainer cup which is what I will use as well as the doidy cip

Nottalotta Tue 13-Sep-16 21:09:17

I've been using the nuby grip and sip. It has handles, and a soft 'teat' and doesn't leak as much as the tommee tippy sippy. Also pregnant, he went to bed tonight without asking for bf!! 13 months. It only took a few nights before he was getting very excited about his cup of milk and cutting down time bf.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now