Talk

Advanced search

Does the broodiness ever go? Stop me having a fourth!

(4 Posts)
ReadTheWholeFred Sat 10-Sep-16 08:25:15

I have three great kids. I never intended more than two. I thought the third would cure my overwhelming broodiness but three years after his birth it is back.

I don't believe I will ever stop feeling broody and so I need to learn to override it. Right now I'm so close to just having another. DH is pretty relaxed and can be persuaded either way.

We can't afford another, our house is full, our car is full, our lifestyle is great as we just about still afford holidays and fun after school activities, I won't have enough time for the older kids, I have awful sickness in pregnancy, I can't cope with sleepless nights, I feel guilty about the environmental impact of having a larger family, I work, my health is never great for the first year after birth (recurrent mastitis and infections). There are so many good reasons to stop yet i yearn for another.

How do you ignore the broodiness?

CathFromCooberPedy Sun 11-Sep-16 17:19:53

You just continue to remind yourself of the abovegrin

I think you've recognised you are likely to always feel broody so stopping at the number you can afford is a good idea. Maybe not an easy decision though for you but sounds like definitely the right one.

BeingATwatItsABingThing Sun 11-Sep-16 17:22:46

I know your pain. DP and I can't afford another baby right now but that doesn't stop me desperately wanting one.

Maybe each time you feel broody, write down a list on cons for having a baby to remind yourself. Maybe it will go away by itself after a couple of years.

toomanypetals Sun 11-Sep-16 18:08:25

I have three and sometimes still get broody but dh has had a vasectomy so I know there won't be anymore.

In some ways it helps, it takes away the 'what if' and encourages me to focus on how blessed we are with three children whom we can afford to provide for. Although it was more dh decision, it was the right one. I might have been tempted by another but he was absolutely certain about no more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now