Talk

Advanced search

Social services involved PLEASE HELP!

(4 Posts)
user1473419914 Fri 09-Sep-16 13:45:50

Hello,

I have a friend who noticed a lump on the side of her babies head (baby is 4 months old), it was not causing her any pain at all and no signs of bruising just this big lump - no noticeable changes in babies behaviour, weight, feeding, no accidents occurring that could have caused the lump.

So she took her to see the GP who also didn't know what the lump was so he referred her to the hospital where doctors were unsure of what it was either. However, a referral to social services was made by the consultant and he ordered a full body CT and head xray which all came back clear. Whilst these investigations were being made my friend and her partner and his mother were not allowed to see the baby until a DBS check was carried out and came back clear (which they did).

After the tests were carried out it was explained to my friend that this lump was just a pocket of fluid and that they would not be treating her baby from a medical point of view. A meeting was held between the doctors and the woman from social services that my friend was told she was not allowed to attend to. In this meeting they concluded that they would not be treating her from a medical point of view but were still unsure of how and why this pocket of fluid has built up.

The woman from social services was somehow conviced that her child had been physically abused even with the lack of medical evidence to back that theory up and no obvious signs of neglect at all. So my friend was told that she would not be allowed to take her daughter home and that they were going to have a further meeting the day after to discuss a plan of action following her discharge but later that same night her baby was discharged and she was told that no allegations had been made against her hence the police not being involved and that once home she would receive a further call from this woman from social services.

She waited for the call the day after and the woman said that she will not be following up further on the case (sigh of relief) but that a separate investigation will be carried out following the allegations...she stopped her there and asked what these allegations were? And the woman from social services said that she didnt Mean to say 'allegations' but that they would need to investigate her ability to work with children as she works on a neo-natal ward as a healthcare assistant.

We are all completely bewildered by the social services decision to begin a separate investigation into my friends ability to do her job despite the evidence not suggesting that any abuse had taken place.

This has been a completely devastating time for my friend who loves her child more than anything and I believe she is a fantastic mother to her child and is also very caring whilst at work.

Could anyone offer any advice at all on this as it all seems to be very wrong and she now feels personally victim by the social services especially when she was allowed to take her baby home and no further interventions were put in place by the social services. It seems they lost the first case and are now trying to further ruin my friends life...they seem concerned about the baby to begin with and now they are more focused on challenging her abilities to do her job competently and risking her source of income that helps her to provide for her baby?

Any advice at all would be very helpful.

Thank you.

KondosSecretJunkRoom Fri 09-Sep-16 13:55:00

Wow, that's unbelievable user1473419914

Your poor friend must be besides herself with worry.

I don't think you are going to get the clear unemotional legal advice that you clearly need on the parenting board though. Maybe you should get it moved to the legal matters section?

user1473419914 Fri 09-Sep-16 13:59:01

Hello KondosSecretJunkRoom

Thank you for your swift reply, she has been torn apart by it all as she has just done what any mother would do when you spot something like that.

I didn't know that there was a legal matters section but I shall search for it now and copy it straight away.

Thank you.

wheresthel1ght Fri 09-Sep-16 17:47:12

A friend of mine had a similar experience- unfortunately it turned out baby's broken ribs, arms and legs were due to a vitamin deficiency caused by neuroblastoma cancer.

It is seriously terrifying and honestly it sounds like she has nothing to worry about and it is just "procedure" but if she works for the NHS then presumably she is part of a union? If so she should speak to them for legal advice and representation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now