Talk

Advanced search

Infacol, Colief, Dentinox, Gripe Water? Which worked best for you?

(17 Posts)
maybethedayafter Tue 06-Sep-16 14:21:51

I've tried Infacol which didn't seem to do much. I didn't think Colief was doing much but when I stopped the crying and apparent discomfort seemed worse. I haven't tried Gripe Water or Dentinox...yet.

What's your experience of one/any/all of these?

weeblueberry Tue 06-Sep-16 16:42:40

None of them worked for us sadly. What did work in the end was getting a tummy tub and using that as her bath. Every night without fail she gave a huge bellowing burp and didn't go through the horrid two hour phase of screaming and crying because of the gas in her belly.

minipie Tue 06-Sep-16 16:58:52

We had a very windy baby. Infacol and gripe water both helped in the sense that they made her burp more easily but despite that, they didn't seem to help with her discomfort.

What did help was getting her tongue tie diagnosed and cut.

maybethedayafter Tue 06-Sep-16 17:05:17

How does tongue tie get diagnosed? DD was in SCBU and I'm pretty sure they checked it there but I'm not sure how thoroughly. Is it possible they could have missed it? Who could I get to check?

ODog Tue 06-Sep-16 19:38:22

Gripe water worked for DS, but I think he just liked the taste and it was distraction enough to calm him down a bit. I question now whether it was even wind or just over tiredness/over stimulation.

DD hasn't needed any help with wind. She brings it up herself already at 3 months.

ElspethFlashman Tue 06-Sep-16 19:40:16

Tried infacol and gripe water. Neither did much.

Dentonox was a start though. But everyone has a different answer, tbh.

Whatabloodyidiot1 Tue 06-Sep-16 19:41:47

None worked with either of mine, they only improvements came with time and them growing bigger. DS2 had a tongue tie, found when he was examined at birth, written in his birth notes but nobody thought to tell me, his mother. I suspected because he was breast fed but incredibly windy and uncomfortable and not latching on correctly. My local breast feeding support worker came to the house, confirmed it and it was cut the next day - instant change!

twoundertwowillbefun Tue 06-Sep-16 19:44:51

None worked for us either but probiotics made a massive change to DD1 - plenty of infant ones on the market but we use Proven which is made in Wales

GeekyWombat Tue 06-Sep-16 19:47:58

Infacol and (when combination feeding) Aptamil Comfort milk in Doctor Brown bottles did it for us. I have no idea which factor it was (if any) though!

kiki22 Tue 06-Sep-16 21:56:25

Dentinox for ds1 and ds2 however my sister swore by infacol my mum would tell you gripe water hands down. I got tommee tippee advance comfort bottles and put dentinox in every feed its working a treat.

Ds1 had a tongue tie that no one told me about ds2 has one which I spotted the midwife wasn't sure but paediatrician confirmed for me never knew it could cause wind though it makes sense.

Muddlingalongalone Tue 06-Sep-16 21:59:31

Colief worked for DD1 - in fact when I started to take her back off it per the instructions at 4 ish months she got noticeably worse again. Ended up still having it past weaning!! Expensive but worth it for me.

maybethedayafter Tue 06-Sep-16 22:01:27

I'm unsure about tongue tie - there's nothing obvious that I can see (not that I am in any way trained), she can poke her tongue out etc but she does take down wind and she's starting making a clicking sound when she's feeding. Maybe I need to go along to a breastfeeding support group and get it checked.

I've got an appointment with the GP tomorrow as I'm not sure if she might have reflux and I could be barking up the wrong tree altogether. I feel so bad for her, she seems in so much pain. It's worse when she's laying down which would indicate reflux. In a way she just seems hungry but then she won't latch on and keeps pulling off in pain when I try to feed her. It's so frustrating not knowing what's wrong in order to make it better.

minipie Wed 07-Sep-16 10:23:05

Tongue tied babies can often poke their tongues out especially if posterior tt (harder to spot). Clicking and gulping wind and coming off the boob during feeds all sounds like tt symptoms.

Unfortunately it can be hard to find people who can reliably diagnose or rule out tt as the NHS doesn't train people about it. HVs and midwives are hit and miss - it's worth askingn your HV but they can get it wrong. GPs no good. BF support group is worth a try. I had to go to a private lactation consultant in the end. Good luck!

klch14 Wed 07-Sep-16 10:29:01

None of them worked for us, ended up going to gp and got given gaviscon sachets. DS had reflux and it sorted to the problem out almost instantly

maybethedayafter Wed 07-Sep-16 10:36:07

Been to the GP this morning and been prescribed Ranitidine. Hopefully it will help and start to take effect soon.

namechanged2016 Wed 07-Sep-16 10:40:46

My understanding is that Colief is supposed to be for babies who have trouble pooing- so who are constipated. Infacol is for babies who have trapped wind higher up. Colief taken with each feed and occasional gripe water worked for DD2.

QuestionableMouse Wed 07-Sep-16 10:44:17

Lactose free milk, gaviscon and rantidine for us. You can tell if he's missed a dose because he gets very uncomfortable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now