Talk

Advanced search

Crop top / cami for 9 year old

(25 Posts)
Cornygirl Tue 06-Sep-16 08:03:41

My 9 year old is starting a new school and is worried that she will be the only one not wearing a crop top / bra. She definitely doesn't need one yet, but despite lots of reassurance, she is still concerned, so I would like to buy her something for her first day. I know there are lots of 9 year olds out there wearing bras, but for personal choice, I would rather she didn't for another few years - I know I am old fashioned. She has agreed that if we could find a cami with a built in 'bra' that would be good - I would rather something full length than a crop top, but if I can't find a cami, that is what I will buy. Any suggestions? Thanks

Hufflepuffin Tue 06-Sep-16 08:09:28

Are you sure you want to send the message that you're uncomfortable with her growing up? A sensible crop top doesn't have to look like a bra and a lot of my friends wore one before we were ready for bras. I didn't and instead bought myself a bra that I wore secretly and then tried not to hug my family in case they noticed!! I understand not wanting to go to full bra but a cop top would at least be acknowledging your Dd's desire to feel like she's growing up.

dementedpixie Tue 06-Sep-16 08:12:53

Dd used crop tops from asda that looked a bit like a sports bra. Wtf is wrong with wearing them? Doesn't make her a brazen hussy

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 06-Sep-16 08:13:22

She's 9, they'll all be wearingg crop tops ime,just buy her one if that's what she wants. Nothing wrong with a crop top at all.

dementedpixie Tue 06-Sep-16 08:15:19

direct.asda.com/george/kids/underwear-socks/2-pack-seam-free-crop-tops/GEM303495,default,pd.html these look like the ones dd had

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 06-Sep-16 08:15:22

I'd be very surprised if she doesn't need a bra for 'the next few years' she could well be starting her periods if she hasn't already. She's 9,she's growing up.

EchidnasPhone Tue 06-Sep-16 08:15:42

My 8 year old wears the crop tops from m&s. They just look like sports bras. She is aware that her body is changing & who am I to tell her she can't wear something that makes her feel more comfortable? Their bodies are changing so what they need clothes wise changes also.

Cocochoco Tue 06-Sep-16 08:15:44

Dd9 has crop tops because they've been handed down from her sister. She has worn them a few times with great pride but mostly doesn't bother. I would just get your dd a few crop tops from M&S or H&M

sjane03 Tue 06-Sep-16 08:16:16

These are the best we could find comfy not too bra like but not connected on by others.. direct.asda.com/george/kids/underwear-socks/2-pack-seam-free-crop-tops/GEM303495,default,pd.html

dementedpixie Tue 06-Sep-16 08:19:04

Those are the ones I also linked to! Dd found them very comfortable

Ilovewillow Tue 06-Sep-16 08:22:49

My daughter is still small so a vest is fine but I wouldn't have an issue with the cropped top. M&S have some lovely soft white cropped tops!

Cornygirl Tue 06-Sep-16 10:55:58

Ok thanks, will go with a crop top then, although seems a bit silly when she will probably be like me and never need a bra! (Buttons on an ironing board sadly...)
Wasn't trying to stop her growing up, although when I was 9 the idea of a bra or anything wouldn't have occurred to me! We live in the middle of nowhere and none of her friends at her current school wear crop tops or anything - she got the idea from a friend who came to stay with her much more developed glamorous London daughter.
Nothing against it really though, so will go and buy her one later in Asda!

GobblersKnob Tue 06-Sep-16 11:04:23

I know loads of 9/10/11 year olds who are most definitely not wearing bras, surely it's not that common? Isn't that really young or do I just know a bunch of very unusual children?

freetrampolineforall Tue 06-Sep-16 11:07:51

My 9 year old dd changes for PE with the boys. While I don't want her to be inhibited and prudish, I also want her to know that her private areas can be discreetly kept private. She wears a simple Sainsbury's or M&S cotton crop top which is basically a short vest. She now has breast buds and I think the top also saves her from chafing.

freetrampolineforall Tue 06-Sep-16 11:11:14

We also bought my dd a couple of starter bras at M&S but they are still a bit too big. It's not to rush her into being an adult it's to show her that she can have one when she's ready and it is no big deal.

SavoyCabbage Tue 06-Sep-16 11:16:07

My dd is nine and she wears a vest (with rabbits on) because that's what she wants to wear. I think my older dd was wearing crop tops at that age because that's what she wanted.

Hufflepuffin Tue 06-Sep-16 11:18:46

These next ones are nice and a bit less bra-like. It may be a passing fad and she'll forget about them at the back of the drawer but she will remember that you listened to her concerns.

www.next.co.uk/g533598s3?gclid=CJW78dfB-s4CFQ3hGwodIP8NNQ&dclid=CK_an9jB-s4CFahT2wodfZUNfA

Pradaqueen Tue 06-Sep-16 11:21:25

Sports racer back style here when she went into year 4/5 (can't remember) as all of the other girls had them and whether or not they need them or not, no one likes to be seen to be different at that age. For last year's PGL trip I bought some bloody awful neon coloured crop top and matching pants from the sale in peacocks which frankly I did not care if they came back home or not, and her mates were apparently quite envious. I was however worried that she didn't go near any naked flame as she most definitely would've gone up wearing them grin my point is OP that in the grand scheme of things, there are many more things to be worried about. Hope she enjoys her new school!

AnyTheWiser Tue 06-Sep-16 11:34:18

Tbh, my dd asked for them as she found her nipples running against her shirt was hurting - they became sensitive a long time (12 mo+) before any 'buds' appeared.
They have lots of pretty ones all over- but plain white might be better for under school shirts.
Peacocks are good- never shopped there before, and yes, they're completely flammable I'm sure, but they fit comfortably (no seams) and wash and dry v quickly. Plus I found them to have longer shoulder straps than JL or M&S, and my dd has huge shoulders!

Cornygirl Tue 06-Sep-16 11:34:37

I wasn't worrying! Just wanted advice on where to get the ruddy things.... Have found some in M&S. Loved the Next ones but she needs plain white ones for under her thin school shirt.

twinkletoedelephant Tue 06-Sep-16 11:41:04

Dd is in year 6 all the girls have been wearing crop tops since yr 3.
She asked for a 'bra' so I bought her one, she has enough stress and pressure on her at school if I can make a tiny bit easier I will.
My mum didn't buy me a bra until I was 13 I needed one well before and was one of the last girl s to get one.. other girls would mentioned my lack of bra every single or lesson...

QuinionsRainbow Tue 06-Sep-16 11:41:30

I've never understood the angst that crop-tops seem to engender. As freetrampolineforall noted, a crop-top is basically a cropped vest. So you could argue that wanting to wear a crop-top is a gesture towards every mother's dream, namely that her DD has finally seen the light and decided to wear a vest after all!

Pradaqueen Tue 06-Sep-16 12:15:55

grin quinions. I did point that out to my DD.

Glad you got them cornygirl. Twinkletoeelephant, exactly the same for Ke when I was younger.

butterfly990 Tue 06-Sep-16 22:24:18

I bought my DD aged 12 bralets.

Cocochoco Wed 07-Sep-16 12:34:11

I dont know why schools make kids strip off and get changed for pe together anyway. My dd is self-conscious because there's some incredibly sexualised behaviour from the boys in her class but the teacher is not prepared to let the girls change in the loos - or to wear their school polo shirts for PE.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now