Why does my baby do a poo the second she falls asleep?

(15 Posts)
idontevencare Mon 29-Aug-16 19:52:11

And then I change her, and then she wakes up and won't go to sleep! What do I do about this? I assume nothing but it's bloody annoying and she's shattered. Do I need to work out some way of changing her nappy without waking her?

Marmalade85 Mon 29-Aug-16 19:55:28

My 8 month old also does night poos and poos in the bath. Watching with interest if anyone had a solution?

Spottyladybird Mon 29-Aug-16 19:59:25

idont how old is baby? I used to be able to do a stealthy nappy change without waking DD if I kept her warm and comfy, eg on the bed rather than on a changing mat. I used to pop a towel under her bum and would have everything ready. If she's in a gro bag just unzip the bottom half and tuck underneath her.

Spottyladybird Mon 29-Aug-16 20:02:56

marmalade with an older baby you might find some baby massage to encourage a poo at an earlier time might help, rubbing her tummy around her belly button in a clockwise direction and cycling her legs could help. When DC start on solids they can get a bit bunged up and the warm water or relaxing in bed will help to relax her system. If you could help her 'relax' earlier she might not need to poo again.

Heirhelp Mon 29-Aug-16 20:05:33

I assume it is because she relaxes. Does she poo any other time? My DD poos every time she goes in the car seat! If she poos in other situations you could try that before sleep.

I have never managed a stealth nappy change.

idontevencare Mon 29-Aug-16 20:07:07

I just managed a successful nappy change on my lap! She's 10 weeks (3 weeks corrected) and she normally falls asleep feeding. I put the clean nappy under her bum and quickly wiped her while I took the dirty one away and then did the new one up. She did stir but I was able to put her straight back on the breast and she hasn't properly woken up...yet! Not sure how successful this will be in colder weather if she's wearing multiple layers.

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Mon 29-Aug-16 20:08:39

My eldest did this as a newborn and I was absolutely shattered as she often pooed a second/ third time as she fell asleep again after the nappy change and feed back to sleep- it was endless!

My midwife recommended putting a clean dry nappy on at the start of the feed with a barrier cream eg sudocreme or metanium, then leaving her asleep with the poo until she woke up herself. She was waking every 2-3 hours for feeds anyway. I was worried it would cause nappy rash and that it was lazy parenting, however she didn't get any rash at all as the barrier cream protected her bum, and slept really well, and frankly I was about to crack from exhaustion. The midwife said it's important you put a clean nappy on for this as a wet pooey nappy will cause rash more quickly than a dry/ drier pooey one.

Worth a try, but I'd stop if she gets nappy rash as that can be painful for them.

idontevencare Mon 29-Aug-16 20:08:59

Recently she only poos when she's asleep or falling asleep so I think it is that she's relaxing. We think she has colic so after hours of screaming if she finally falls asleep the last thing I want to do is wake her up to change her!

idontevencare Mon 29-Aug-16 20:15:15

Aannnnd she's awake again! 😩

AgentPineapple Mon 29-Aug-16 20:16:20

It must just be when she is relaxed enough to poo... Lucky you!

DubiousCredentials Mon 29-Aug-16 20:24:28

I agree with Hopelessly - clean nappy before nap/feed with plenty of barrier cream and leave it until she wakes up. That's how I used to manage it. It is a phase that probably won't last long.

AgentPineapple Mon 29-Aug-16 21:01:00

I could never leave my babies in a dirty nappy my DD has very sensitive skin and this would cause week long nappy rash. If there's a poo she needs to be changed, how would you like to sit in your own shit for 8-12 hours

DubiousCredentials Mon 29-Aug-16 21:08:58

I wouldn't at night time blush was assuming it was at nap time for some reason.

Marmalade85 Mon 29-Aug-16 21:24:29

Thanks spotty. Will try this. I actually get woken up in the night by the stomach churning smell of weaning ff baby shit. Doesn't seem to bother him though.

idontevencare Mon 29-Aug-16 23:02:21

I can't tell you what I wouldn't give for a stretch of 8-12 hours sleep! I probably would sit in my own shit if she would sleep that long....perhaps not. The longest stretch of sleep she's managed is 4 hours so I'll give the barrier cream a go. When she was in SCBU nappies would only be changed every 3 hours at the time of feeds as they like to keep handling of premature babies to a minimum. Sometimes she had obviously done a poo a while before and that didn't give her nappy rash or any irritation so I'm prepared to try it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now