Talk

Advanced search

Co-sleeping- HOW DO YOU DO IT?!!!

(20 Posts)
glueandstick Sun 28-Aug-16 11:50:43

Our 6 month old has learned to roll but only one way. She's in a cot next to the bed with a side removed so it's easy access.

The rolling is driving me nuts. I was awake every 30mins until 6am removing her from my face, her front (as she whimpers when stuck) and I'm dead on my feet.

How do you cope?! How do we get through this. We use a sleep sack and that hasn't helped. I don't want to put the cot side on as it is a bit of a barrier. I might consider it if it goes on.

Help.

Bryna Sun 28-Aug-16 12:00:26

How about trying a pool noodle under the sheet, where you'd like her to stop rolling, it may stop her from rolling into your bed, but not make it to difficult to scoop her across when you want to.

PenguinsAreAce Sun 28-Aug-16 12:03:33

One of mine did that from around four months. I am in no way recommending this, and am sure it breaches some guidelines... But, I let DH sleep with her (he likes cuddly sleeping) on the other side of the bed with a bed rail, and I dumped the side car cot and used ear plugs. He woke me and passed her to the middle for feeding, and then she went straight back to him afterwards. If she was awake, or needed changing, he did it. Suspect ours was an unusual arrangement, but it worked for us. I just could not sleep with a baby in my armpit once they were over about 6 weeks, and when they were there DH had to be in a different room or his breathing drove me mad.
If the DH option had not been available, I would have moved her to a cot with a side.

Maybebabybee Sun 28-Aug-16 12:04:37

I didn't. Tried it a few times as was reliably informed it was an excellent way of getting sleep. LIES! DS was hot, wriggly and unsettled - hated it!

glueandstick Sun 28-Aug-16 12:22:12

The pool noodle is an excellent idea! Now to find one on a Sunday. Any ideas?

I got up to go to the loo and came back to find her snuggled up with my husband. He assumed I had put her there.

This creature rolls and rolls and rolls and rolls. I sense the side of the cot going on.

Bryna Sun 28-Aug-16 12:42:10

I don't know if you have a 'This is it' store near you, but ours sells them. Maybe 'Wilkinsons' or sometimes even the pound shops, most are Sunday opening.

glueandstick Sun 28-Aug-16 12:48:58

Amazon can prime me 20. I may resort to it!

Will go and try Wilkos. Perhaps toys r us might have them...

glueandstick Sun 28-Aug-16 12:58:26

We don't gave a 'this is it' but I feel that it could be a mine of amazingness.

chloechloe Sun 28-Aug-16 19:22:03

Urgh the dreaded rolling phase! DD did this too and woke every 30 min all through the night. Complete horror!

Do you have a V-shaped breast feeding pillow? Grab it in the middle and let the filling drop down evenly either side to the ends. Then twist it over at the middle once or twice so the tension makes it nice and firm. Then place it in a U form no higher than the baby's armpits.

Of course when it comes to SIDS guidelines this is NOT recommended but I took the risk as it was no where near the baby's head.

The other option if you have a carry cot on your pushchair is to put that in the cot. Again, not recommended unless yours is approved for overnight sleeping (my Joolz one was). As they are narrow the baby tends not to have enough room to roll.

Mycraneisfixed Sun 28-Aug-16 19:39:35

Put the side of the cot back on it.

Kiwiinkits Mon 29-Aug-16 02:05:30

Unless you intend to co-sleep as a permanent solution, why persevere with it now? The sleep habits you create now will haunt or reward you down the track. So start as you mean to continue.

Daisyandbabies Tue 30-Aug-16 09:55:27

I have always co slept with mine. My 4 year old has his own room but chooses to sleep in his little sisters bed (she sleeps next to me) which is pushed up against mine. I'm sure some people think this is weird but we all have a great nights sleep so who cares.
When they were little, they always had the top to themselves. I would sleep far over the the side and my husband would sleep lower down the bed so there was no chance of any accidents and they had plenty of space. Now, husband works away most the time so my just turned 2 year old has one half of the bed. She never comes over to my side and neither did my little boy when he was in my bed. Maybe they are just still sleepers?

UmbongoUnchained Tue 30-Aug-16 10:03:41

I slept across the bed at the end so she could roll as much as she liked and eventually ended up at the head board. Will do the same with this one, although not sure where my 6ft6 husband will go....

crayfish Tue 30-Aug-16 10:11:13

Don't do it! Seriously, you think this is bad - when they get older they start whacking you in the face, pinching and pulling your hair. That's when they're not standing up at the headboard and trampling on your head.

This may all just be my DS (13mo) but never again!

Coconut0il Tue 30-Aug-16 11:47:29

DS2 is a real wriggly sleeper. DS1 was always quite still and would wake up exactly where I'd put him to sleep. With DS2 we wake half way down and sideways in the bedconfused DP works nights so it's just the 2 of us. His cot is pushed up against one side of our bed and I used to have a pool noodle on the other but now have a bed guard. He has fallen out once blush but that was before the bed guard.

glueandstick Tue 30-Aug-16 17:15:04

At 2am I turned wriggler around so they rolled into the bars rather than my face. How guilty did I feel....

Still hunting for a pool noodle (didn't expect it to be that hard!) and will probably give up. I just think when they are that little it is nicer to be close to your mum/dad if you wake up in the night. But I might be getting soft in my sleep deprived old age.

Fitzsimmons Tue 30-Aug-16 17:20:17

My local swimming pool sells noodles in reception, yours may do the same?

glueandstick Tue 30-Aug-16 18:10:25

Why didn't I think of that?!!!

ODog Wed 31-Aug-16 21:55:03

Try a rolled up towel under a sheet if you can't get a pool noodle

Marmalade85 Wed 31-Aug-16 22:08:36

If it isn't comfortable for you then why are you doing it? Why not just put the side of the cot up? The baby is still right next to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now