DD has come back from her dads with severe sunburn

(26 Posts)
K8tyjones42 Sat 27-Aug-16 19:33:24

My DD8 has been at her dads since Wednesday & his gf, took her and her own son camping. My daughter has got severely sunburnt on her back,she said she had "a bit of cream on" but not much.
I don't know if to confront him about it (he wasn't actually there though) or put it down to one of those things? I know that she wouldn't have let my little girl get burned on purpose but I do think more care could have been taken!
I picked her up this morning & all she has wanted to do is lie on her front & watch tv so my precious day with her has been spoilt.
Do I have the right to be annoyed?

ThatsWotSheSaid Sat 27-Aug-16 19:36:00

I think it needs bringing up but VERY carefully. A bad relationship between the adults in her life will be worse for your dd than sunburn.

FuzzyOwl Sat 27-Aug-16 19:36:13

I would be annoyed and I would say something to remind him that his DD is his responsibility and sun cream is an essential requirement in this kind of weather. However, other than that I would put it down as being one of those things.

ThatsWotSheSaid Sat 27-Aug-16 19:36:28

But you can be very annoyed, I would've, just don't show it.

gamerchick Sat 27-Aug-16 19:36:52

Well what do you mean by burnt? Tbf when I get back from camping all I want to do is lie down. How old is your daughter and yes absolutely I would mention it to your ex regardless about caring for your bairns skin when it's hot.

dementedpixie Sat 27-Aug-16 19:37:03

Yes I'd be annoyed as having sunburn as a child increases the chance of skin cancer later on. Cream should have been reapplied frequently to keep up the protection

K8tyjones42 Sat 27-Aug-16 19:41:50

She's 8 so able to say that she needs cream but she said she was busy playing and didn't ask, i don't think it's her responsibility tbh!
I already have a very rocky relationship with ex so I know I can't go in all guns blazing I do think that he could have told me about it when I picked her up this morning.
I've added a pic!

dementedpixie Sat 27-Aug-16 19:45:54

I agree it's not her responsibility. Have you put after sun or anything on it?

Dozer Sat 27-Aug-16 19:47:55

Send him the pic with a message asking him to ensure she doesn't get burnt again.

WannaBeDifferent Sat 27-Aug-16 19:48:07

Ouch! I would be annoyed and think I would have a gentle word with her father. Also tell your DD to ask for sun cream or tell her to put a t shirt on .

K8tyjones42 Sat 27-Aug-16 19:50:40

Yeah been covering her in Soleve all day think it'll take a few days to feel better though.
I've told DD that she needs to cover up when it's sunny she did know that but forget when she playing so the adult should have reminded her!

Lunar1 Sat 27-Aug-16 19:57:57

That's appalling, what was the girlfriend thinking! I would send the picture to him too. It was the adults responsibility to ensure sun cream was worn. They is a chance your ex may not have seen the burns, so I'd make sure he knows so he can ensure his dd is looked after properly in future.

K8tyjones42 Sat 27-Aug-16 20:06:44

DD says that her dad saw it this morning but didn't say much!
I've text him asked him to ensure in the future that she is covered up & if he isn't with her then it is the responsibility of the adult he has trusted her to!
No reply, but that's pretty usual practice!!

lljkk Sat 27-Aug-16 20:10:11

I don't actually rate that as severe... tho' I'm sure it hurts.

How annoyed I would be depends whether I could have done something equally bad (probably, I screw things up all the time), and how forgiving I think my X should be about it.

K8tyjones42 Sat 27-Aug-16 20:14:44

I'm not accusing him or his gf of neglect or anything I just think more care could have been taken & I'd like him to just be more careful.
I'm absolutely not perfect!

confuugled1 Sat 27-Aug-16 20:39:53

Not what you're asking I know but if the Soleve isn't doing much then go to the pharmacy and ask for a burn cream (rather than a sunburn cream) called Acriflex - it works much better than things designed for sunburn!

Think you've done the right thing letting him know about the sunburn.

K8tyjones42 Sat 27-Aug-16 20:41:27

Thanks confuugled if she's still in pain tomorrow I'll go & get some and send him the bill!!! smile

lljkk Sat 27-Aug-16 20:43:10

We've had some days practically bathing in aloe vera gel this summer. + paracetomol. Hope it feels better soon.

K8tyjones42 Sat 27-Aug-16 20:48:21

Thank you!!

mypropertea Sat 27-Aug-16 20:48:22

Poor thing, make shore she drinks lots and maybe try sudocrem on it, it helps to stop pealing and acts like a total sun block (we use it to stop horses with pink noses getting burned- it is that good).

K8tyjones42 Sat 27-Aug-16 20:49:28

Thanks mypropertea think I'll get her to bed and lather her up whilst she's sleeping!

ColdTeaAgain Sat 27-Aug-16 20:52:38

That looks like quite bad sunburn to me, particularly as her natural skin colour is very pale. Bet she is sore!

Was she swimming? As looks like was wearing a swimsuit? You often see ppl slap on he sun cream right before the child jumps straight in the pool. Annoys me as I just can't see how they don't realise it will wash straight off and does next to nothing!

I think you've done the right thing letting him know OP. Hopefully just a one off slip up.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 27-Aug-16 20:53:05

I really wouldn't put any creams on her yet,treat it like a burn which is what it is.

I'd be furious OP, she's so fair!

RebelRogue Sat 27-Aug-16 20:54:20

"Hello ex. Can you and girlfriend please make sure dd has sun cream applied often when out and about? Her skin is very fair,and she will get distracted if she's having lots of fun, so the adult in charge should keep an eye on it. Thank you"

Tbh to me it would be one of those things but nothing wrong with sending them a "reminder". It might be that the girlfriend's son needs a lot less suncream applications so the gf just didn't realise your dd might need more. I barely apply any to dd (unless on holiday somewhere really really hurt) and she never burns,whereas some of her friends need repeated applications throughout the day.

RebelRogue Sat 27-Aug-16 20:55:15

P.s. You can be as annoyed as you want. She's your baby and she's in pain

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now