Talk

Advanced search

Advice on how to stop BF'ing DD (2.2)

(8 Posts)
CeCeBloomer Fri 26-Aug-16 19:32:59

Anyone managed to successfully stop breastfeeding a toddler who doesn't want to stop? We have been down to one feed at night for months now but I am 7 months pregnant with DC2 and I want a break before the next one and I really don't enjoy it but she asks every night and is like a broken record and won't stop asking til I give in - help!!

bluecashmere Fri 26-Aug-16 19:38:17

No advice really. I agree you need to stop before the next one arrives. I hope you get some decent advice and manage to. Has your toddler ever taken a bottle? Could that work? I was in a similar position (not pg) and then suddenly it just stopped at around 2.5 years with no fuss.

CeCeBloomer Fri 26-Aug-16 19:57:42

She will take a bottle now but she happily drinks a shed load from a cup too it's just a comfort thing for her but I can't stand it anymore.

MerylPeril Fri 26-Aug-16 19:59:07

Can you put a plaster on/bandage and say they are 'broken'

Rinceoir Fri 26-Aug-16 20:04:50

I just stopped breastfeeding my 2.4 year old DD who was reluctant to stop. I posted on here in desperation looking for advice on stopping a few times!

I employed a lot of distraction techniques. I would go out for a walk at bedtime, and DH put her to bed. I made sure to get up before her in the morning.

The big thing that helped oddly enough was toilet training. She stopped looking for the morning feed as she wanted to use the toilet! I think she must have been ready because any other attempts at stopping was met with serious upset.

thescruffiestgiantintown Fri 26-Aug-16 22:21:17

I just went for the honest explanation - that it was too sore and that I would help her learn to fall asleep another way. It was a tough couple of nights and then done. I did lots of empathising "it's so hard falling asleep without milkies, can I rock you in my arms instead?" etc.
At 2.2 you should be able to talk about it with her fairly reasonably.

CeCeBloomer Fri 26-Aug-16 22:52:18

Thanks, some things to try. She is a persistent little soul, when I stopped feeding her through the night it took 2 months before she stopped asking

android909 Sat 27-Aug-16 02:51:21

"All gone" is what we said when it was time to stop (before no 2). Plus the whole "ain't you a big fella / girl". Went hand in hand with own room n stuff. Bigging up and lots of love etc, extra privileges. No 2 got milk but no 1 never got denied of love!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now