Talk

Advanced search

Expressed milk storage

(8 Posts)
CtotheB Sun 21-Aug-16 10:37:58

Hi All,

Can someone please settle a debate between myself and my other half regarding expressed milk storage?
I'll make it neutral so we "mums" don't stick together 😂.
Person A thinks that milk should be frozen on the day of expressed, to be pulled out and used when required. If we don't end up using it then we have another 3-5 days to use it.
Person B things we store milk in the fridge for 3 days, if it isn't used (or more milk is added) then it can be frozen, once defrosted to be used the same day.

Thanks in advance!

seven201 Sun 21-Aug-16 10:52:59

Person b is right I think

ACubed Mon 22-Aug-16 07:59:26

I think both are right , freezing is like pausing time as far as I'm aware! But I'm sure I read that you shouldn't add new milk to refrigerated milk without cooling it first.

Marmite27 Mon 22-Aug-16 08:03:52

You should use frozen milk only for the deed after its been defrosted, so technically you won't get a further 5 days after its been defrosted.

That said, I use mine Upto 24 hrs after its defrosted. I freeze after expressing it, when I look like I've got too much in the fridge, that way I'm not caught out by a bag that was in the fridge for days before freezing.

Marmite27 Mon 22-Aug-16 08:04:47

Only for the FEED after its been defrosted...

Reiltin Mon 22-Aug-16 08:27:01

Yup, person b is right. Tbh, person a would fast be proven wrong when trying to use defrosted milk a couple of days after its defrosted! Breast milk can actually be kept in the fridge for up to 5 days but needs to be frozen at that point.

Daisyandbabies Mon 22-Aug-16 11:47:06

I would say both is right, but I probably did b. Believe it or not, a study was conducted when breast milk was left out for 40 days and there was LESS bacteria in it than before, due to its anti bacterial properties. Probably didn't taste so great though, haha!
I had a load stored in my freezer for over a year and was going to chuck it away and my friend, who works as a breastfeeding support woker, asked if she could have it to give to her daughter who had a cold, as she believes breast milk never goes 'off'

Tellmeagain Mon 22-Aug-16 22:09:43

Person B, definitely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now