Talk

Advanced search

5 month old waking earlier for night feed

(5 Posts)
Newfamily2014 Sun 21-Aug-16 04:31:28

My DC will be 5 months in two days time. He's ebf and a good size 18lb (8.2 kg) at last weigh in a few wks ago.

He's always slept well and until about a month ago took one feed over night. Now taking two and the first feed is getting earlier in the night so has to have a second feed to last).
He has his last feed of the day at about 7/7.30pm and tonight has woken at 0030 for a full feed and feeding again now.
He used to be able to last until 0300/0400 but not any more.
He's also sometimes not managing to last more than an hour or so between foods as hungry.
I have given him a little bit of baby porridge mixed with formula before his second nap of the day as he was waking during it hungry and now he doesn't.

Shall I wean him? Or shall I give some formula? Or something else??

whatifwearetheanswer Sun 21-Aug-16 09:49:38

My 5 month old is waking more often, I'm hoping its a phase.

I wouldn't say it's an indicator of a need to wean though!

My sympathies. It's almost worse then they have a good phase and go back to waking more isn't it!

Newfamily2014 Sun 21-Aug-16 19:05:13

It certainly is whatif. He used to wake once at 0400 for a feed them back to sleep u too 0730/0800 and now two wake ups with first creeping ever earlier :-(

What is your DC doing?

FireflyGirl Sun 21-Aug-16 19:40:52

Expect the unexpected. Motto of Oscars Wilde and parents everywhere!

Unfortunately, as soon as you feel settled into a routine, your DS will likely change it up. There's a lot going on in his little world.

He's probably having a massive growth spurt, and is hungry, hence needing more food. It's not necessarily a sign of a need to wean, or that there's anything 'wrong' with what you are feeding him now. He just needs more, however you give it to him.

whatifwearetheanswer Sun 21-Aug-16 21:31:29

OP my little boy is just completely random! Last week we were down to one night waking at 4/5 and then up at 7 and it was like heaven. Now that appears to have stopped again. It can be anywhere from once to 5 times really!

It is hard though, I find it really difficult sometimes. Im hoping weaning may make a difference but I'm gonna wait til 6 months cos I don't think he's ready.

Hope you have an okay night!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now