Talk

Advanced search

Which buggy setup for long weekend in London? 3yo and 2yo

(10 Posts)
OrigamiOverload Thu 18-Aug-16 13:51:52

DH and I can't agree decide which would be best. We have a 3yo and a 2yo. Neither of us know London well, I think we'd be hoping to go on the tube, although not at busy times, and lots of walking about.

We have:
A three wheeled double
A three wheeled single
An umbrella fold single
A backpack sling
A buggy board

Obviously we don't want to take all of these but we can't decide what would be best, DH thinks the double would be too cumbersome for the underground, I think he might be right. But I am worried about not having a seat for DD, and they are both quite heavy for the backpack. If we take the two singles that doesn't leave an adult hands free which I have found to be a pain in the past.

I could be persuaded to buy an umbrella fold double, although it won't be as nice to push as the three wheeled single, which is our favourite.

Anybody with any experience/advice?

OrigamiOverload Thu 18-Aug-16 22:16:55

Hopeful bump

PassTheCremeEggs Thu 18-Aug-16 22:24:18

It depends on how good your 3 year old is at walking and standing up a lot but I'd say the single buggy and buggy board. Don't know if your buggy board will attach to your umbrella stroller but that would be the best in my view.

If you're not on the tube in rush hour then your three year old will be able to sit while on the tube anyway. Agree a side by side double (if that is what it is) will be too cumbersome.

The reason I say the umbrella is that many, many tube stations have stairs and no lifts/escalators and they're easier to fold and carry up/down. It's only when you take a pushchair on the tube you realise how bloody inaccessible it is. I've lived in London all my life and am ashamed to say i didn't realise until I had children how impossible it must be for wheelchair users.

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Thu 18-Aug-16 22:27:45

You'll also need to handle whatever you take on escalators, and if you plan to use buses at all you really do need something as small as possible.

tralaaa Thu 18-Aug-16 22:30:57

2 single buggies a double in central London would be a nightmare

TooTweeOrNotTooTwee Thu 18-Aug-16 22:32:03

It does depend a bit on the children and the activities you'd like to do (other than go on the tube), but I'd be tempted to take the two singles.

I find London involves lots of walking and if your DC are anything like mine (also 3 and 2) they will decide at random moments that they cannot possibly take another step because their legs are tired... We just spent an entire holiday carrying two children around on our shoulders confused

If you end up with one walking it may be worth bringing a backpack with reins.

SavoyCabbage Thu 18-Aug-16 22:37:02

I would take the fold up umbrella buggy and the buggy board. If you really find you need another single buggy, buy another cheap as chips umbrella buggy when you are there. I wouldn't take a double. You might never get on a tube!

Scotinoz Fri 19-Aug-16 09:04:15

From having recently dragged two children, a bit younger than yours, around Tokyo I'd say take the double!! Or at the very least the single and buggy board (and a sling). Exhausted children, demanding to be carried cos their wee legs are tired is no fun!

strawberrybubblegum Fri 19-Aug-16 19:18:10

Easy to carry up steps is the most important thing! As a pp said, London is shockingly inaccessible.

How good are your children on scooters? I've taken DD into London on her scooter since she was 2, and it's been great for allowing her to go longer distances than she could manage on foot, but still easy to manage on transport.

Perhaps one umbrella buggy with buggy board if it attaches plus one scooter, and see how they get on?

LittleBearPad Fri 19-Aug-16 19:28:29

Don't take a double buggy around London if you have any other options. Backpack and single umbrella fold with buggy board is the best plan of your options.

What are you planning to do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now