Did anyone lose loads of weight when bf then pile it all back in when you stopped?

(21 Posts)
mrsmoomoopoopoo Tue 16-Aug-16 19:49:00

Ebf my dd since birth. She's nearly 10 months and I've reduced her bf's to just 2 per day in the last few weeks.

I already feel like the weight is creeping back on and feel really bloated all the time.

Just wondered how other people's weight was affected when stopping bf?

I've also started taking mini pill cerelle in last few months so that could also be a factor of weight gain.

Thanks

strawberrybubblegum Tue 16-Aug-16 22:26:32

Yes! Bf is absolutely magic for being able to eat whatever you want and still losing weight! which is a good thing given the amount of chocolate needed to keep you going on so little sleep

I found that my weight increased gradually after I stopped bf - nothing drastic, just due to some bad eating habits I'd formed.

Longdistance Tue 16-Aug-16 22:30:18

Lost zero weight bf.

It is a complete myth as far as I'm concerned.

Although, my experience of bf first time round I feel I was fed a lie.

Hey ho!

LucyLocketLostIt Tue 16-Aug-16 22:34:35

Yes, I've put on about a stone since stopping breastfeeding.

OllyBJolly Tue 16-Aug-16 22:37:27

I was the opposite. Carried an extra stone (and more sometimes) for the year I bf. As soon as I stopped it dropped off. No diet, no extra exercise- came off really quickly.

WhatWouldFlopDo Tue 16-Aug-16 22:41:00

Yes, I was a jeans size lower than pre pregnancy 6 weeks after giving birth. BF for over 2 years and put a stone on per year since stopping due to all the awful eating habits I got into. I'm now a jeans size higher than before I was pregnant angry

DodgySpot Tue 16-Aug-16 22:41:09

I'm also one of the opposite ones.

Breastfed dd for a year, I even did slimming world to lose the baby weight.

Nothing, not even a pound.

Until she turned one and we slowly stopped bf. Without changing anything within a month all the extra weight had gone.

Bf ds at the moment and it looks like the same is happening again.

heehaaw Tue 16-Aug-16 22:45:16

Yep, I was right back to my pre pregnancy size when BF & since I gave up have gained a stone- another who developed bad eating habits, constant snacking. Trying v hard to loose it now with some gentle exercise & being more sensible about my diet. So far so good.

minipie Tue 16-Aug-16 22:45:19

Yep lost loads while the DDs were EBF. Once they started solids and milk intake dropped rapidly, I started to pile it back on.

60sname Tue 16-Aug-16 22:48:53

I can't help as I'm in the exact same position, down to two feeds most days. Not looking forward to those 10 pounds coming back even though that would only take me back to my original weight. (Trying to be vigilant as have developed a terrible biscuit habit this year).

I would say my appetite has dipped slightly along with the feeds though.

Aoibhe Tue 16-Aug-16 22:50:18

I've put on 4 or 5 pounds since I stopped BF but tbh, I think the main reason I lose it while BF is being tied to the couch so much and not being able to make something to eat for myself 😭

RNBrie Tue 16-Aug-16 22:53:14

Yep! Got back to my wedding weight breastfeeding. Dd stopped suddenly at 9 months and I put a stone back on instantly... Well, within a matter of weeks. Currently breastfeeding dd3 and hoping not to have it happen again!!

Cherry321 Tue 16-Aug-16 22:56:26

Yep lost weight whilst BF (and ate a load of cake) then put weight on when I stopped BF, but continued the cake. I do have Pcos however, which seemed to be OK whilst pregnant and BF, but came back after I stopped BF.

Worth it though. But think I would be more aware if I had another and was stopping BF.

Daisyandbabies Wed 17-Aug-16 09:07:17

It is probably the pill and the hormones. I fed for 18 months and did get back into my pre pregnancy clothes very quickly but lost more once I stopped, for some reason! I did stop eating as much as I was when breastfeeding though, so it's just about getting back into normal eating habits

Highlove Wed 17-Aug-16 11:21:16

Yep. Think it was fully embracing wine again.

fevdec Wed 17-Aug-16 13:36:07

I ate quite a lot and didn't put any weight while breastfeeding but when I stopped I put on 10 kilos within 6 months. Well i still had the same amount of food as while breastfeeding so no surprise. Trying to eat more reasonably now. Tough life smile

mrsmoomoopoopoo Thu 18-Aug-16 20:01:26

Thanks everyone for your replies.
My eating habits are terrible at the moment and I need to seriously sort my diet out.

It's been great eating what I want for 10 months and not gaining any weight but I knew it wouldn't last forever.

I was hoping you would all say your weight stayed off when you stopped bf ha ha!!

DorotheaHomeAlone Thu 18-Aug-16 20:06:50

Yep. Got very skinny while bfeeding despite all the cake. It started creeping on as the feeds tailed off so I quickly got pregnant again to have another excuse for eating cake. Now bfeeding again and it's not coming off as quickly this time. biscuitcakebiscuitbiscuitcake

Mumto2uk Thu 18-Aug-16 22:45:04

There might be hope for me yet then!! With DS1 (now 3) I bottle fed as couldn't breastfeed and I lost all baby weight just over a year. DD1 (7m) ebf and I have put on since her birth and cannot loose anything! Hoping when I stop the weight comes off.

BocaDeTrucha Fri 19-Aug-16 00:05:37

I only gained 7kg in pregnancy (ds was 4.1kg at birth) but at 6 weeks after birth I had lost 16 kg. It felt, tbh, if I had lost those 16kg by the time I left the hospital. It was literally overnight.

I bf until ds was 1, and as soon as I stopped, the weight came back on, not massively, but I've probably put on about 5kg over the past 2 years.

Enjoyingthepeace Fri 19-Aug-16 21:28:29

Didn't put on anything at all.

To be honest though, I don't think I over ate when breastfeeding, craved grilled prawns but not choc on anything like that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now