Talk

Advanced search

Healthy snacks I don't need to keep in fridge

(10 Posts)
golfmonkey Mon 15-Aug-16 15:31:28

Hi, new to mumsnet but already grateful for it! Im a Mum to 20 month and 4 month DDs, struggling, but trying to improve things.
I try to have a stocked changing bag ready to go at all times, but the only snacks I can think of for my dd1 are crackers/biscuits/raisins/crisps, and none are particularly healthy. I usually give cheese/fruit as snacks too but these need preparing and keeping in the fridge fresh. Obviously it doesn't seem like a massive effort to chop some fruit and stick it in the bag but like I said I'm struggling and so would appreciate ideas on healthier snacks which I can keep in the bag from the night (a few days blush) before.

Any super easy healthy meals advice would be most welcome too - I usually make pasta or risotto with lots of veg and cheese in advance and defrost, but they are running out, and although I'm sure dd1 would be happy eating sweet potato, cheese and baked beans every day, it's probably not the best.
Note: she won't eat egg (literally comes right out of her mouth the moment it goes in argh!) and the only meat I can seem to get her to eat is sausages. I buy the healthiest I can but again, not fantastic.

Thanks in advance smile

minipie Tue 16-Aug-16 12:57:50

Hello

Honestly with a 20mo and a 4 mo I think you are doing really well. It's ok to cut some corners and your DD will be fine if she lives on sweet potato and cheese for a while smile they are both very nutritious, and baked beans are good too if they're not too sugary and salty.

Dried fruit is actually pretty healthy (lots of vits and minerals) as long as you brush teeth properly. How about breadsticks or rice cakes - these are not especially nutritious but they're not too sugary or salty so not too bad. Nuts are great healthy snacks but your LO is too young for them whole, perhaps try chopping them up a bit so they are not a choking hazard? Fruit - how about fruit that doesn't need keeping in the fridge or preparing, like bananas? Would she be able to munch on a whole apple?

Anyway there's some ideas but really I think just keep doing what you're doing and don't worry about nutritional perfection!

mogloveseggs Tue 16-Aug-16 13:03:04

Mine loved the mini apple rice cakes from asda at that age. Meal wise I have the Ella's kitchen cookbook that's quite good for things you could batch cook? Am happy to type out a few recipes if you want?

mogloveseggs Tue 16-Aug-16 13:04:44

Ps nothing wrong with jacket, cheese and beans thats my go to from the butty shop smile

bombayflambe Tue 16-Aug-16 13:07:04

If fruit needed to be refrigerated it would be off before it was harvested.
It's only short shelf life stuff which needs to be kept cool so take a little of those but mostly things that don't need it: green grapes, satsumas, apples, pears etc.

MrsNuckyThompson Tue 16-Aug-16 13:09:51

Most fruit doesn't have to be kept in the fridge and in fact will taste a lot better if you don't! Like satsumas, bananas, apples and pears.

Rice cakes are a good one (be careful of flavoured ones - they sometimes have a lot of sugar on them).

Organix also do little packets of crackers etc which are low in sugar and salt. How about nuts?

Hufflepuffin Tue 16-Aug-16 13:34:35

I agree that everything you've already said sounds great!

A healthy dinner we serve around here is yoghurt and spinach with a bit of pesto for flavour blended to make a pasta sauce, DD doesn't notice the difference between this and plain pesto! I try and use brown pasta when I can.

I've had mixed success with wholegrain oatcakes and corn thin type things. She prefers them with cream cheese but will eat them dry if really hungry!

cornishglos Tue 16-Aug-16 13:42:00

I just throw a satsuma in the bag as well as maybe an apple/ banana/ plum. I get individual bags of breadsticks and corn thins. Also these spinach wafer things by heavenly and some rice cakes.

T0ddlerSlave Tue 16-Aug-16 18:39:17

You can buy fruity oaty bars, we also buy own brand soreen loaf, if you wrap small bits in cling film they stay fresh for ages. Neither totally ideal as chewy and sweet.

isthistoonosy Tue 16-Aug-16 18:58:25

When mine were that age the big one snacked on dry cereal, rice cakes, hard breads, raisins, fruit like apples, pears etc that don't need the fridge. I also kept a bottle of long life formula and a bottle of water in my change bag just in case.
Quick grab on the day snacks were normally bread, soft fruits, and any suitable left overs.

Quick meals - tinned ravioli, noddles and frozen veg, macaroni and tinned toms and frozen veg (meat balls sometimes), boiled pots and fish fingers and you guessed it frozen veg. Rice with anything as they are both rice crazy.

My freezer meals - pancakes, soups, and any suitable left overs from family meals.

It gets better then worse, fucking sleep regression here again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now