Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Nearly 4 year old lying

(6 Posts)
DizzeeBorg Fri 12-Aug-16 20:19:11

Hi all,

My DS will be 4 in September and has recently started lying. Now he is lying constantly and I hate it, it really makes my blood boil. To me it is a hundred times worse than any of the behaviour he is lying about.

Is it a phase? I have kindly explained why it is wrong and how it makes me feel. He says he loves being naughty and it makes him happy when I am sad. Previously he has been a very kind child and we have always had a loving relationship. I'm at my wits end.

My children have also started staying up very late talking/ playing / fighting in their bedroom for hours after bedtime. My DD is also going through a challenging phase, she will be 3 in March.

Argh. I want my nice children back.

Ellieboolou27 Fri 12-Aug-16 20:24:47

Oh yes! I hope it's a phase as my 4 year old dd lies, it started a few months ago (she's just turned 4), it's embarrassing, she told my mum today that her dad called her ugly this morning! He was so upset, this too shall pass!

I went into aha parenting site and it explained it's a developmental stage (hope it's a bloody quick one)!

DizzeeBorg Fri 12-Aug-16 20:27:23

Thank goodness for that!

MrsMulder Fri 12-Aug-16 20:36:17

Yes, it's a phase they go through, ds's nursery teacher actually said it was good that he tells lies! It means his brain can process the fact that you don't know everything they know or something like that. It's an important development stage. just keep reminding him that it's not good to tell lies but don't worry about it.

Ffion3107 Fri 12-Aug-16 20:39:44

While it must be frustrating for you, is it reassuring to know that his cognitive skills are probably quite advanced if he has the ability to lie at this age, depending on what he lies about?
It takes a creative mind to be able to lie! I studied childhood studies, and loved the psychology part - look up some articles which will explain better why they do it, that may help you to figure out what you can do about it. smile

DizzeeBorg Fri 12-Aug-16 20:51:44

Thank you, I'd be grateful. Previously I have been too concerned about it to appreciate the creativity required. He and his sister have turned into a terrible tag team. I wish they would apply their creativity and developing cognitive abilities a little more productively!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now