Talk

Advanced search

Advice on feeding

(9 Posts)
user1470080705 Thu 11-Aug-16 05:52:44

Hello my baby was born in the early hours of Tuesday, on the smaller side so hospital said feed every three hours and been using ready made formula bottles, now at home he seems to wake up every hour and a half crying and putting his hand in his mouth, I tried to resist feeding as hospital said every three hours but he wouldn't stop crying so he took the whole bottle after two hours - am I doing the right thing? Sorry for sounding stupid I am a first time mum, not used to being around babies either.....

isthistoonosy Thu 11-Aug-16 06:10:22

Id assume they meant at least every three hrs especially if he was smaller than expected. So I'd feed on demand and keep track of how much he is having over 24hrs.
That's the advice we got at least when our first was born, as he was little and jaundice.

SpeakNoWords Thu 11-Aug-16 12:10:34

Definitely feed on demand, the hospital mean no longer than 3 hours. Newborn stomachs are tiny, so they may want to feed frequently.

dementedpixie Thu 11-Aug-16 12:15:42

Every 2-3 hours is normal for that age. Hospital probably meant don't wait more than 3 hours rather than exactly 3 hours between feeds

Oysterbabe Thu 11-Aug-16 15:44:19

My DD was only 4lbs 13 and fed 2 hourly at least until she was about 3 months old.

BexusSugarush Thu 11-Aug-16 17:04:07

Feed as often as your baby wants it. We were told this by the hospital too, but babies just don't work like that and I wasn't going to let mine go hungry.

user1469996868 Sun 14-Aug-16 14:23:01

Is any one available for some advice please....my 10 week old daughter was put on cow and gate comfort milk after being advised by my HV the doctor has now advised i put her back to normal as cow and gate comfort wasnt helping her, all i need to no is whats the best way to change her back to normal cag?? With out upsetting her belly more smile thank you

Sandsnake Sun 14-Aug-16 22:00:06

Feed on demand, OP. No idea why the hospital are advising every three hours - newborns' feeding patterns don't tend to work like that. And congrats on the baby!

isthistoonosy Tue 16-Aug-16 09:51:49

When switching milks breast/semp/cag/cows milk I was told to give each at least a few weeks to settle down and see if it had any effect. But changing from one to the other I just swapped one day (e.g. semp wasn't available anymore) and after a few days baby seemed fine. Some people phase new milk in so switch one bottle a day to the new milk until all bottles are switched over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now