Talk

Advanced search

Books about toddler discipline (early toddlerhood)

(8 Posts)
PregnantAndEngaged Wed 10-Aug-16 09:44:16

Been thinking I should read a book about toddler discipline that doesn't involve me screaming STOP, NO and DON'T DO THAT while my son proceeds to do everything anyway and then get angry at me when I pick him up and remove him from the situation. He's still young at the moment and I'm not worried but I thought it woud be good to read something to arm me with knowledge to help me for the years to come. He's only 14 months.

Thing is I want a book that's appropriate and helpful for the toddler years and coud ideally implement some of the information now.

I've heard good things about How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids Will Talk but I wondered if that's more about slightly older children who are able to communicate or if it could be for toddlers unable to actually verbalise what they think/feel? Or can anyone recommend another good book.

JamieFraserskneewarmer Wed 10-Aug-16 09:48:18

I saved my sanity with "Toddler Taming" by Dr Christopher Green but that was over five years ago now. I see it has been updated and may be worth a go - a really common sense approach

ClockMakerSue Wed 10-Aug-16 09:51:41

Gentle Parenting by Sarah Ockwell Smith and Toddler Calm by the same author. Brilliant for reading what is normal toddler behaviour and how to work with it.

PregnantAndEngaged Wed 10-Aug-16 11:52:41

ClockMakerSue is there one you would recommend more than the other?

ClockMakerSue Wed 10-Aug-16 13:19:03

Gentle parenting is good all rounder but includes younger...
I'd look on Amazon and see if you can see the contents page of both to see which has most in that is suitable. Probably Toddler Calm I think.

RedCrab Thu 11-Aug-16 09:40:36

Positive Discipline is also good - there's a toddler version and it gets progressively older.

LovelyTrees Thu 11-Aug-16 09:47:07

I would recommend Toddler Calm too.

I found it helpful to understand what toddlers are actually capable of and what is just not worth trying to discipline. some things are just totally beyond their comprehension until aged 4 or 5 so there's no point fighting and upsetting them about something they can't really understand.

There's is also the Gentle Discipline book by the same author (Sarah Ockwell Smith) but I haven't read that

thescruffiestgiantintown Sat 13-Aug-16 10:05:05

Toddler Calm for that age. Also Janet Lansbury - her toddler stuff is BRILLIANT. She has books but l haven't read them, there's masses on her website/blog and her podcasts are free and excellent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now