Talk

Advanced search

Do you give your baby and toddler vitamin supplements?

(27 Posts)
campervan07 Wed 10-Aug-16 06:58:11

I just read an nhs article which suggests all 1-4 year olds should be given supplements of vitamin A, c and d and breastfed babies need a vitamin d daily supplement. I have not been doing this with my children (4 months and breastfed and 3).

With my three year old, he was formula fed so didn't need supplements as a baby and has always eaten well and a varied diet so I thought I didn't need to. With the four month old, it just didn't occur to me that he might need extra because I didn't for my oldest.

Have I really messed up? What vitamins do you use please?

celeryeater Wed 10-Aug-16 07:04:05

I'm confused about this too. I haven't been giving my ebf 3 month old any vitamins but do take a multivitamin myself. No one has told me I need to be giving her anything but read it on the NHS website. confused

TheDisreputableDog Wed 10-Aug-16 07:07:53

I asked my HV and she advised not necessary if they're having a balanced diet.

Sierra259 Wed 10-Aug-16 07:09:04

I did with my eldest for about 18 months, then it gradually fell by the wayside as she ate very well. There was something on TV about this a few weeks ago, so I've just started with the DC (youngest 8 months, mixed feeding). It was the report on vit D deficiency that prompted me to start it with both of them again.

TweeBee Wed 10-Aug-16 07:10:34

They need vitamin d at least to help with bone development. My 16m and 5.5 year old both take (different) vitamins. They eat fairly well but you hardly get any vit d from diet and I think a top up of others won't do any harm.

TweeBee Wed 10-Aug-16 07:10:58

They need vitamin d at least to help with bone development. My 16m and 5.5 year old both take (different) vitamins. They eat fairly well but you hardly get any vit d from diet and I think a top up of others won't do any harm.

TweeBee Wed 10-Aug-16 07:11:29

Oops sorry for double post!

Phillipa12 Wed 10-Aug-16 07:17:17

Consultant peadiatric dietician recommended that i give my children a multi vitamin and they have a balanced diet.

mrsnec Wed 10-Aug-16 07:23:46

My peadiatrician reccomended something called paradox. Multi vits and omegas but from natural sources. It was expensive and I didn't notice a difference and that formula had the rda of evetything anyway so that fell by the wayside too. I would give vit d though if I was in the uk.

Heatherbell1978 Wed 10-Aug-16 07:26:39

I give my 2 year old Wellbaby multi-vit. He's a fairly fussy eater though. I'm sure they should be getting Vitamin D regardless though if you're in the UK.

megletthesecond Wed 10-Aug-16 07:27:58

Yes, I always have them vits as young children and they still have vits and minerals now.

I started vits as a teen so saw no reason to not continue. We eat well, although I worry about modern intensive food production depleting vits in fruit and veg. They're a top-up really, not every day either.

angrydwarf Wed 10-Aug-16 07:34:28

Yes, got in the habit as eldest wasn't a great eater and have just stuck with it as it can't do any harm. I was recommended vit D drops for ebf DC2 but must admit I struggled with this before weaning as she never took a bottle at all and my midwife recommended putting the drops onto my nipple!

campervan07 Wed 10-Aug-16 10:23:45

I guess I better go look for some vitamins today then.

Unicorn1981 Wed 10-Aug-16 10:25:33

I never got round to giving my baby vits but hv did mention I should a few times. I'm worried now! Will start giving her them.

angrydwarf Thu 11-Aug-16 07:01:15

You can get them all in the supermarket if it's multivits. For baby Vit D only drops it will probably be pharmacy. We used the orange box, Abidec drops in milk for older baby/toddler then switched to the chewy ones you get in a tub (Haliborange?) once they were old enough.

campervan07 Thu 11-Aug-16 13:19:10

I have tried three pharmacies and two supermarkets for vitamin d drops for a baby and none had them. Found one multivitamin drop but didn't contain the recommended amount of vitamin d. Am taking this as an indicator that it can't be that common to give to babies! Might try and order online.

monkeyfacegrace Thu 11-Aug-16 13:25:24

Really? Really really? My hv told me that babies need vits from 6 months to 5 years.

For the last 10 years and through 3 kids I've just nodded, smiled and ignored confused

Vitamins my arse.

catlouboo Thu 11-Aug-16 13:35:40

Toddler has a multivitamin drop that I put in her drink.
HV told me I need to take vitamin d supplement which would pass through to my 10 week old via breastfeeding.
The vitamin d aids absorption of calcium.
I was told by a paediatrician with my first that babies are born with a reserve of vit D that gradually depletes when they are around 6 months old.

Leirope Thu 11-Aug-16 13:42:09

I was given Vit A, C and D drops to give DS (10 weeks) at his 8 week check. Maybe ask your GP or HV?

LottieDoubtie Thu 11-Aug-16 13:44:41

We give abidec vitamins in the Toddlers evening cup of milk which he doesn't always finish

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Thu 11-Aug-16 13:56:59

I don't give 16 month ds vitamins. He has a healthy/balanced diet and I let him outside without suncream on for 10/15mins so he gets vitamin D.

InsaneDame Thu 11-Aug-16 14:21:12

Vitamins are just a way of making expensive wee I believe. You get everything you need from diet as long as it's balance and varied. There have been studies done that show vitamins don't really make any difference and in some cases can cause harm. It was on a BBC documentary not long ago.

LariyahSpen Thu 11-Aug-16 14:26:18

My 17 month old still has milk mid morning and before bed and she has the vitamin drops in her milk in the morning. I know a lot of people don't use them but I asked and my health visitor said its good as they are developing.

Just to add she has a very balanced diet as well but I just think it's the best thing for her. When she's old enough she will have the chewables as well but we are a family who take vitamins

BentleyBelly Sun 14-Aug-16 08:35:29

I took vitamins myself when breastfeeding and then my dd has had Abidec since she self weaned off the breast at 13 months. She is now 3 and still has the drops (when I remember) before bed. It's mainly for my own peace of mind as she is not a big eater.

Hopelass Sun 14-Aug-16 08:40:23

I give 2.10yo DS a daily vitamin at the moment because his diet isn't brilliant and as I'm 7mo pregnant I haven't got the energy to fight with him about it so it alleviates my guilt a little.
He does get fruit and veg every day just not as much as I'd like and also has more processed stuff than I'd like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now