Talk

Advanced search

Food ideas for fussy toddler 14 months

(13 Posts)
Grassgreendashhabi Tue 09-Aug-16 22:05:34

She won't eat anything wet so normal dinners are out. Nothing like spag Bol, chilli,

Dry only

So I'm running out of things

Cold meats
Falafel
Cheese
Sweetcorn
Peas
Toast
Dry cereal
Mash occasionally and that's the wettest thing she will eat

Can you give me any suggestions

NotWithoutMyMerkin Tue 09-Aug-16 22:11:18

Breadsticks/crackers (homemade to reduce salt ?)
Other veg - carrots/broccoli etc
Pasta - either plain penne or with grated cheese
Is rice too wet?
Jacket potato with grated cheese?
Plain grilled or roast chicken - shredded or small chunks?

(This is a harder question than it first seems!)

Grassgreendashhabi Wed 10-Aug-16 06:55:18

Rice is too wet and she not too keen on pasta

Veg I've tried everything and she won't try anything unless sweetcorn or peas

It is really hard. I walk blankly up and down supermarket

LapinR0se Wed 10-Aug-16 06:59:36

How about risotto balls?

Tinks15 Wed 10-Aug-16 07:05:45

Grass i feel your pain i have a fussy 13 month old. Drives me mad.

OhIfIMust Wed 10-Aug-16 07:20:25

Would she eat omelette fingers maybe when cold, so less 'wet' feeling? What about couscous or similar grains with roasted veg stirred through?

Grassgreendashhabi Wed 10-Aug-16 07:24:55

She is allergic to eggs in their whole form. So she can eat thing made with egg but not eat an egg

I haven't even thought of couscous. That's a good idea

Keep them coming please

elgol Wed 10-Aug-16 07:34:16

For carbs I would agree with cous cous. Plus Yorkshire puddings when desperate. Try different kinds of bread, so bagels, wraps, sliced etc. Plus those expensive mixed grain sachets. I tried different pasta shapes and slightly undercooked worked best.

I find cheese works best grated. Try different kinds, grated in different ways.

Keep offering fruit and veg on top of what she would eat.

I serve ds2 his food as individual bits. So pasta separate to sauce. Always something he will eat, plus something to try. We have been trying cucumber for three weeks now. Small nibbles were a big success.

I sympathise. It can be stressful. Try not to let it become a battle or an issue.

Joydgreen88 Wed 10-Aug-16 07:39:09

Hidden veg burgers made with lentils? Can bind without egg if she can't eat. Blend the veggies up to a puree and add to cooked lentils with flour to bind and shallow fry or bake.
Gnocchi if shell eat mash? Can bake them so they're crispy rather than boiled. Veggies she will eat with them and maybe cheese?
Will she eat flatbread with tomato sauce on? If so could make little pizza fingers, stick anything on top.
Veggie sausages? Homemade or low salt bought one's?
I'll keep thinking, but this is a tough question so I really feel for you!

canyou Wed 10-Aug-16 07:43:18

Will she eat pancakes? Drink a smoothie?
I had one very fussy DC who would only have dry cereal or toast, breaded chicken, chips, bread and rolls, banana and every cake goinghmm. I made cakes with veg (courgette, carrot) and served one food he would eat, and whatever else we were having in ramekins on his plate. I also allowed lunch in front of the tv. It became amazing what he would mindlessly eat while watching fireman Sam.
flowers It is hard but does not last for ever.

Grassgreendashhabi Wed 10-Aug-16 07:58:21

She does like strong flavours I think because of her formula is nutrimigen which tastes foul.

But she will eat strong cheese, salami smoked salmon

I like the gnocchi idea I'm going to get some today.

I'm wondering about fresh pasta parcels , I could do some for my lunch and see if she is interested

canyou Wed 10-Aug-16 10:14:14

What about strong flavoured dips with a mix of veg and bread and crisps maybe drain excess liquid. Took ages but DS will eat salsa well drained and hummous.
If giving pasta/gnochi give hers a quick rinse under a cold tap to cool and it will stop it going sticky for her and will feel 'dry' -- I never dried pasta with a paper towel blush--

Grassgreendashhabi Wed 10-Aug-16 10:37:54

No chance on dips

She did months ago eat houmous but stopped

Too wet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now